Shell Point stabbing 08/25-26

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

THAT'S IT!!!! I'm definately ready to go. WE have never had too much trouble with messing the arrows up by hitting the bars. The tips you can buy for them are pretty stout and heavy......they have to be be to go through a gar. THANKS for the info, now I just have to rig up some lights like you.
bbb

Post by bbb »

It would take you about 10 minutes to build the frame with pvc a sawsall and pvc cement.

Actually you can have my old frame minus the lights and one of the light brackets. You'd be 75% of the way there.
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

bbb wrote:It would take you about 10 minutes to build the frame with pvc a sawsall and pvc cement.

Actually you can have my old frame minus the lights and one of the light brackets. You'd be 75% of the way there.
Awsome!!!Sounds like a plan. So I assume your using a genertor to run your lights?
bbb

Post by bbb »

No. They are 12 volt 100 watt lights. I run 4 lights off 2 deep cycle batteries. I can go 2 nights or 10 hours without a recharge.

I'll take a pic of the old frame and the new frame and post it tonight or in the morning.
bbb

Post by bbb »

Here is the new light bracket. The pvc was just a little too small for the trolling motor bracket so I had to put some emergency duct tape on it.

Here is the old light bracket. I had to cut one of the arms off to get the lights out of it. A pvc sleeve would put it back together.

RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

I see, I ddin't catch the link you posted on the previous page or catch that they were 12 volt lights. That ain't bad for two 100 watt lights for $55. I definately like your currnet "T" setup, it smaller and more light under water. Thanks bbb
DF 1860DLX

Post by DF 1860DLX »

I ran that setup for a while, now i'm running 4 bow mounted 500 watt halogens with a 2000 watt honda clone generator. I've got about $500 in the whole thing but it sure is alot easier to see with the bigger lights. I've still got a couple 12V lights rigged up on pvc poles if anyone is interested.
2003 G3 1860DLX
bbb

Post by bbb »

I'm satisfied with my $150 investment in lights right now. I'm running 400 watts under the water. Haven't really wished for more light than I have. Of course as soon as I experience 2000 watts of light, I'm sure I'll change my mind.

But like somebody told me, "I used to gig with a lantern and a broomstick and never had a problem seeing them"
DF 1860DLX

Post by DF 1860DLX »

I must admit that I only had 250 watts of light when I was using batteries. And I stabbed a lot of flounder with this set up, but I could not see very far away from the boat, and if the water wasn't at least gin clear it was hard to see, the best part of your setup is no sound, the best part of my set up is no lights in the water so you don't have to worry about hitting things. :D
2003 G3 1860DLX
DF 1860DLX

Post by DF 1860DLX »

I see you guys talkin about lean rails, to me they are a nuisance, I put my riptide in the upright position all the way out of the water it makes a good beer holder, plus you have something to grab ahold of if you hit an oyster bar or something.
2003 G3 1860DLX
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I had intended to reply earlier but haven't. Your light set up (which is great!) reminds me of the one I used on the Indian River for shrimp'n. I lived in Central Fl and would travel over to the Coast on some March and April evenings during the week of a full moon to catch the shrimp runs. I know the technology has come a long way.... but just in case there might be some folks following this thread who don't want to (or can't ) afford to spend a bunch of money (relative term :D ) Here's what I used to make up my under water lights. They worked great and were still in good working order, after 5 or 6 years, and I included them in the deal when I sold my boat after moving up to Tallahassee. Drop by Home Depot or ??? and pick up 2 or 3 of these.
They run aprox $2.50 or so. Use some silicone adhesive and cement the socket into the end of a pvc 90 ell. The size of the ell will probably run about 1 1/4" or so. Pick up the socket and then go to the pvc section and find the correct size ell. You can use adapters or reducers to get back to the 1" pipe or what ever your main lines are. Run your wires inside the pipe, attach gator clips or what ever connector you want, purchase 12 volt bulbs and your good to go. These won't put out huge watt's worth of light or compare to halogen, (75 to 100 each shouldn't be a problem), but they will do the job just fine. The only consideration is to make sure the bulb is screwed in tight and rinse em in fresh water when your done. A loose bulb will result in arc'n and the bulb will burn out.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".