Shell Point spear'in 09/07

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

Shell Point spear'in 09/07

Post by bbb »

Met jsuber and partner at the ramp leaving with the kayaks as I was putting in, around 7:30. Seeing I was from Georgia they cleared the ramp to allow me plenty of room to back down the ramp. ;-)

Low tide was around 7 so there was alot of exposed bottom. Got to the spot I wanted to start at and covered myself in bug spray as the sun set. Had alot of confidence in this spot but the flounder did not cooperate. Saw plenty of 8" to 11" fish, but the big ones hadn't come to the shallows yet. Around 9:30 I get my first fish, a 17" flounder. Later a nice sheephead, 19", comes into range and goes in the cooler. Then another 40 yards and I put a 19" flounder in the boat. By 11pm the wind was picking up and the tide was getting higher. I ran the shoreline 2 more times and then went to try it on the flats. Just too windy, but I did spear to more sheephead and had a small mullet jump in the boat. Back at the ramp at 1am.

sharkboy
Site Sponsor

Post by sharkboy »

I was going to go try and stick one last night, but goofed around working on stuff around the house too long. Where did you get that light rig?
I must fish.
bbb

Post by bbb »

Look down a couple of posts on this thread.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... hp?t=15333
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Not bad at all bbb. I'd like to try that sometime. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Nice. I did a little bit of gigging in N.C. Had a great time, but paid for it the next day.
"Plan for the worst."
bbb

Post by bbb »

Ron Wilson wrote:Nice. I did a little bit of gigging in N.C. Had a great time, but paid for it the next day.
I haven't had a chance to do an all nighter yet. I can still get 6 hours of sleep before work at 9am.
Squall Line

Post by Squall Line »

I'm curious: do you have good luck even with the water clarity that bad? I have nixed a handful of floundering trips due to the vis, but perhaps I should have given it a better shot... I assume you are in really shallow with that kind of vis? Looks like a good trip!
DF 1860DLX

Post by DF 1860DLX »

I went to st marks to try and stik some last night, the weather was perfect but there were so many bait fish everywhere that had the water so stirred up it was hard to see. I boated 2 flounder, missed two more, and one mullet, we were back at the ramp by 11:30, probably could have done better but I was tired and didn't want to wait 2 more hours for the tide to really come in. I think i'll go back to ochlokonee bay next time, I seem to have better luck and get bigger fish there. :thumbup:
2003 G3 1860DLX
bbb

Post by bbb »

Squall Line wrote:I'm curious: do you have good luck even with the water clarity that bad? I have nixed a handful of floundering trips due to the vis, but perhaps I should have given it a better shot... I assume you are in really shallow with that kind of vis? Looks like a good trip!
I'm only looking for fish in 8" to 18" of water so clarity is usually not an issue. Water movement, wind and water over 24" are my problems.
bbb

Post by bbb »

DF 1860DLX wrote:I went to st marks to try and stik some last night, the weather was perfect but there were so many bait fish everywhere that had the water so stirred up it was hard to see. I boated 2 flounder, missed two more, and one mullet, we were back at the ramp by 11:30, probably could have done better but I was tired and didn't want to wait 2 more hours for the tide to really come in. I think i'll go back to ochlokonee bay next time, I seem to have better luck and get bigger fish there. :thumbup:
Do you put in at the fort and run down from there? I would love to try St marks, but with my go devil it would take me a half hour to come down the river and then another 20 minutes to try the area I want to. Why are you missing flounder? Bad shots or coming off the gig?