Course of action scenario: new outboard issue

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Squall Line

Course of action scenario: new outboard issue

Post by Squall Line »

So say you were to purchase a new boat package with a four stroke Yamaha 60 on it; you notice the paint is faded on the cowling one day while cleaning up from fishing... Upon closer inspection it is clear that the motor has been touched up, and a new decal applied on that side (over the old one). A scratch is visible under the area of touch up.Now no mention was made of this defect at the dealer, what would you do? Am I a poor sport for worrying about such a petty thing? Am I correct in being a bit ticked that I was sold a 'damaged' ~$6,000 motor? What is the consensus on what should be expected from the dealer as far as correcting the problem? Keep in mind this is a "5 star" service center... There are a few other discrepancies that I let slide on the boat, but this is about my threshold....

Thanks for the insight.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Have you shown these things to the dealer yet? That's always the first step.They can't fix what they don't know about. If the dealer is not cooperative, ask him for the Yamaha customer service number, cause you have every intention of filing a complaint :-D If there is any chance that he will be found in the wrong by Yammy, he will fix the problem promptly "unless he just don'y give a flip" :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

Would not hurt anything to let them know how you feel about it and see how they respond.

I didn't know we had a 5 star service center around here.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Will_Fish_4_Food wrote:
I didn't know we had a 5 star service center around here.

:smt005
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Squall Line

Post by Squall Line »

I have contacted the dealer, but have not received a call back from the service manager. They were "unaware" that it went out the door in that condition. I guess the real question I am getting at is what is an acceptable response I should be expecting from the dealer... I personally think a new cowling would be reasonable, but wanted to see what the consensus was. The dealer is down near Tampa.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I would want to be 100% certain that nothing else had been patched on the motor. I don't blame you for being upset. I would not accept it either!
bbb

Post by bbb »

wevans wrote:Have you shown these things to the dealer yet? That's always the first step.They can't fix what they don't know about. If the dealer is not cooperative, ask him for the Yamaha customer service number, cause you have every intention of filing a complaint :-D If there is any chance that he will be found in the wrong by Yammy, he will fix the problem promptly "unless he just don'y give a flip" :smt004 :beer:
wevans has dealt with boat dealers before and gotten results so he knows his stuff. Of course the way he does it gets him kicked off the sales lot, but it gets results.

If we all knew how many times this happens with big ticket items like cars, trucks and boats we would be really surprised. I'm sure alot of those cars on the transport trucks get dings and dents from time to time.
DF 1860DLX

Post by DF 1860DLX »

I worked for a car dealer for years and florida law states that the dealer must put a disclaimer on any new vehice with over $500 in repairs.
2003 G3 1860DLX
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Dealer should replace cowling IMHO. Simple, easy and not that expensive to keep a happy customer.....Customer is always right!
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

FWIW, MSRP for a cowling assembly on a F60 is around $600.
What was I supposed to do today?
Squall Line

Post by Squall Line »

I finally got in touch with the service manager, and it looks like they are willing to work with me. He said he will be in touch next week after he figures out where the problem originated (either Yam or one of his techs). Luckily he brought up sending a new cowling up here if I ship the old one back... Sounds fair enough if it pans out vs. me driving back down there. I will post back when I hear from him. I do appreciate the feedback :thumbup: .

Eric
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

That is good news. Kudos to the service manager.
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

He ships first, you shouldn't be without your boat :thumbup:

Glad to hear it sounds like it's worked out.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I agree. Tell him to show you his first.
If he does not like that answer tell him 1500 people on this forum will ask him to do so.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Yeah, let him ship first, for one thing you will not be without a boat, second you can use whatever packaging he used to send your back in, maybe you can get them to pony up for return shipping too.

Just make sure the only problem is the cowling and no other problems were fixed or not fixed. Is there a hour meter on one of those motors?