Question .

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

sundown
Site Sponsor

Question .

Post by sundown »

Does anybody know of a good pesticide to treat fire ants ? I tried everything Lowes sells and all I can do is get em to move about five ft...first rain and another big hill...I got two acres of backyard full of em ! any advice much appreciated !
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Amdro works pretty well as long as you follow their program. Also Talstar. We use both around the plantation and have had good success. Kinda pricey though
GULP! free since 1970.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I used Amdro and its probably the best of what I've tried so far this summer..I know there are some agricultural chemicals that aint readily available to the homeowner that are spose to do real good....
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

make friends with a sod farmer. They deal with it all the time
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

If you fertilize your yard use Scotts Bonus S Max. I used to have a huge problem with fire ants. I used this once in the spring and did not have a bed crop up for 2 years. I do it every spring in April and it is awesome.

http://www.scotts.com/index.cfm/event/P ... CAA4E86C13
Tom Keels
Site Founder

birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Talstar
GULP! free since 1970.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I believe there is the Lowes version of Amdro and the commercial version...you want the commercial one...it has a higher concentrate
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

yep
GULP! free since 1970.
BIGD

Post by BIGD »

I treat for fire ants and had the same problem were having then after applying ant stuf i added about 1 gallon of water to mound next day u could see dead ants all over mound try that and let me know back.
BigD
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Talstar is a product that will work but is a contact killer. (The ants have to come in contact with the insecticide for it to work.) With the Amdro from lowes. This product has a very low active ingredient (home owner) product and you will never get the results that you want unless you chase ant beds around your yard everyday. The best way to control ants in your yard is to use a product called Cease Fire which is a ant bait $15.97 for #2 jug. once you have baited all of the beds in your yard then come back with a product called Top Choice (Bayer) #50 $145.00 this is a professional product that controls ant for 12 months and is backed by Bayer. You can get both of these product at Lesco in Tallahassee. I'm the manager. Give me a call with any question 850-514-1844. Ask for Pat.
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

birddog wrote:Talstar
:thumbup:
bbb

Post by bbb »

snatch-n-reel wrote:Talstar is a product that will work but is a contact killer. (The ants have to come in contact with the insecticide for it to work.)
So I can stir up the bed real good with a stick, poor the Talstar on it and run.!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Diesel Fuel. :thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

I've been having very good results with Bengal UltraDust2x Fire Ant Killer. Don't know what the specific poison is, and I'm too durn lazy to go out to the shed right now and look. I just stir up the mound, dust it, and go do something else for 5-10 minutes, then come back to watch them little buggers doin' the kickin' chicken. :D