Vintage Fishing Reels???

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

T Smith
Site Sponsor

Vintage Fishing Reels???

Post by T Smith »

So I've started a new hobby of collecting vintage fishing tackle (reels in particular). I've managed to score quite a few pretty cheap from ebay and most are in pretty good condition. From what I can find out, alot of these reels are from the early to mid 50's and were mass produced so they won't be worth much as rare collector items but I enjoy the nostalgic aspect of old fishing stuff.

Do any of you older fellas remember using tackle from the 50's or around that era?

The reels are all baitcasters and have level winds but from what I can tell do not have anti-reverse or adjustable drags. It seems like fishing with these reels would really have taken some mastery and technique. So far I've got a Shakepere direct drive model 1924, a Bronson Green Hornet and Gladiator and a Langley Cast Rite.

Funny thing is Shakepere and Pflueger seemed to have made quality stuff back then.

Anybody have memories or knowledge of these reels or brands?

I'd post pictures but our digital camera died :x
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Ive got an old spincaster and rod I found in an old barn. No idea who made it. More than likely '50's early 60's
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I remember the Langley...And a lot of others that are no longer mfg'd...An interesting one that was popular around south Ga in the early to mid 50's was the Whirl a Way spinning reel...had a big black ball on the end of the rod that held the mechanisms....
I've collected wooden lures for years..probably got a hundred plus wooden bombers ..fished with the majority of them up until they went out of production...White coach dog bomber was the bait of choice on the lower ochlocknee during the mid to late 60's.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I have several of the old Shakespere direct drive reels. I also have an Abu Garcia Model 2050 direct drive. I'll post pictures later.
What was I supposed to do today?
T Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by T Smith »

Yea the Langley has a vented spool which seems a little before its time. I wonder how many fish each has caught
Saltwater4me

Post by Saltwater4me »

Just curious, I have an ABU 2000 that was my grandfathers. It is in great shape, but I have no idea how old it is. Any ideas????
"Support the country you live in OR live in the country you support!!!!"
Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

Abu sometimes puts the date in the serial number! There are several website devoted just to abu's. Love those reels. While we are at it a classic were the cardianl 3's and 4's. Sweet spinning reels.
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

I have a couple early Penn 113H 4/0's. Didn't even know how old they were until I bought them and did some research. I still use one of them as a grouper puller. I'm more into building rare combo's though, using Accurate, Tiburon, and Newell components to upgrade the classic Penn 4/0's and 6/0's. Narrow 6/0's seem to be my current favorite. I've built two of them recently. A narrow 6/0 with green Accurate frame and sideplates, 3.25:1 Accurate gears, custom drag setup, and some more fixins, and a 6/0 narrow with blue Tiburon frame, 3.25:1 Accurate gears, custom drag setup, and a couple more upgrades. The Penn 4/0's have a bunch of upgrades available for them also. I've built several 4/0 narrows and topless 4/0's over the years.

Nathan