Carrabelle 9-29-07

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Carrabelle 9-29-07

Post by dolphinatic »

My brother-in-law was visiting from Pennsylvania this past week, and really wanted to go try grouper fishing. It didn't take much for me to want to go either, so we decided on Saturday despite the weather forecast. We got to Carabelle Boat Club at 7:00am and were on our way by 7:15am. After a quick stop by C-Quarters for bait and ice we headed on out.
By the time we rounded the west end of DI, we were greeted by solid 3-4's...... :x We found a bunch of birds hitting the water and went after them in search of some live bait. About 10 minutes of dropping sabikis, we had enough live bait.
Ran out to the first spot and got pounded the entire way. Along the way, I dropped a Stretch 30 out the back and managed to hook a nice amberjack. I got it right along side the boat and while the bro-in-law was getting the gaff, up came the puke :oops: .....from him. The fish threw the plug and off it went :x Anchoring up on the first spot was nearly impossible, so after 3 attempts, we fished where the wind and drift allowed us. The bite was on immediately with cut LY's. We managed 2 nice reds and 2 nice gags. I hooked a nice king but it broke me off right on the surface :( About 45 minutes into this trip, my bro-in-law was 4 shades of green. I felt so bad for him that I decided to just head on back in with the few fish we had and come home to watch football :thumbup:
The ride back in wasn't too bad, but conditions were ROUGH all day. Even came across a few 6-7's :o
I would try to post pics, but the camera got wet and CVS screwed up the picture disk :x

TOTAL FOR THE DAY: 2 RED GROUPER (24-29")
4 GAGS (23-28")

Bait for the day seemed to be cut LY's. Squid only yielded grunts. Live bait didn't catch a thing :roll: Fished one spot in 65 ft. with good bottom. Bite was consistent for the 2 hours we were there :thumbup: :thumbup:

Gonna try it again this Saturday :lol:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Green ain't fun.

Not bad for a rough day.
What was I supposed to do today?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Glad you got out there and put a few in the box :thumbup:
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

:thumbup: :thumbup: for tuff'n it out. Glad it paid off for you.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Reel Fun
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Fun »

My hat's off to ya for going :thumbup: I had a friend down from Atlanta, to go off shore on sat/29th. We stayed on the inside of Dog/St George and :beer: :beer: :beer: until time for the game. It was way too rough for me and my 23ftr. Even though your BIL got sick, he should definitely be glad you took him out in that mess.........Glad ya'll got'um :thumbup:
Time on the water is NEVER wasted time.