Lanark Report from Eddie Joe 10-3-03

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

EddieJoe

Lanark Report from Eddie Joe 10-3-03

Post by EddieJoe »

Headed out from the marina just before sunup, and when the sun rose it was a beautiful sight. Temp about 60, wind NE 10k. The water clarity has improved. Headed out to a buoy to catch bait, and no pods on the surface, although I caught lots of little blue runners on the bottom. Used my sabiki rod for the second time, and it is worth the money.
Spanish macks were showering anchories just outside of Dog Island Reef, and I stopped briefly to nab one. If macks are what you want, you can chase the schools or troll in this area.

I then headed offshore (the NE chop was kinda nasty) to find some LORAN numbers a buddy had traded me for the L/L when I found them (I still have a LORAN and also a GPS with differential), and marked a couple of areas that looked good, but I only raised two undersized red grouper on the drifts. Maybe another time.

Went to some of my 40-50' numbers, and trolled stretch 30's for a half hour or so. Caught two nice gags (28" 23"), one on red head/pearl and the other on green/pearl. Anchored in the area, but only caught undersized grouper.

Went to a final spot in 45' and managed a just legal red grouper, and fed all of my live bait to just undersized grouper for another hour or so. Went in at 12:30, because Sunday is a short day for me.

Tally: 2 gags, one red, one mack.

After the cleanup, I pan fried a small fillet and made grouper sandwiches for the family. Now thats some good eatin'!

Heard sawbones jawing on the radio.

Luck,

EJ
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

That's a pretty good day for a half-day trip :thumbup: I'll take one of them samiches :lick:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Yummy, WTG :thumbup:
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

thanks. I find with my fishing that I usually do best before noon, then it slacks off so I either have to stay out there all day to get another run from 4-dark, or go home at 1. Given all of the cleanup and driving, etc., I usually try to get home soon. It also helps the ramp crowd issue.

Luck,

EJ