Anky Grouper & Jellyfish

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Anky Grouper & Jellyfish

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Headed out today to check out some grouper spots about 20 miles out. They were there, just not hungry. Managed to entice one 25 inch Gag to bite a stretch. Only thing hooked bottom fishing was grunts.

The whole place was FULL of thousands of these Jellyfish, about a foot in diameter...

And we saw some that were like a Ball, and 2 to 3 feet in diameter. Those things were huge :o

Water was nice, smoothed out nicely in the evening. Maybe we will tear 'em up next time.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
bman

Post by bman »

Nice grouper.
Grunts will fry-- what do you do with a jellyfish?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
beatswork

Post by beatswork »

Sounds like a good trip to me. I love them pink mouth. Seas are forecast for 1-2' Sat. hopefully that doesn't mean 3-5' and I can get some of them myself.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Nope, They did not look like them. Also, it says those only grow to 50 cm (about 20 inches), these were bigger than that. I would estimate the tenticles were about 10 ft long below them.....

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Nice groupa. Those jellies are huge.
Reel Fun
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Fun »

Thanks for the report :thumbup: very nice pics....water looks good...
Time on the water is NEVER wasted time.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

One thing I forgot to mention was that when trolling, the stretch would regularly pop up out of the water like they do when grass clogs them, and then go back under. I would reel it in and check the eye alignment and for grass....nada.

I finally figured out that there were so many jellyfish down there, that the lure would hang up on them, then break loose and pop up...

I finally figured it out when I reeled in and had some tenticles on the lure.

It made trolling not so fun....

dubble :thumbup:
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

:thumbup:
dawghouse1

Post by dawghouse1 »

Nice Grouper :thumbup: :thumbup: I'm ready to go try to get me a few.
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."---Will Rogers
BlueH2OFisherman

Post by BlueH2OFisherman »

Nice report. Love seeing all the wildlife out there. Most fishermen have speed in mind. Enjoy cruising and looking for things I have not seen before. Those jellyfish are beautiful creatures in the water, just not on me!!
Todd Anderson