Rock Garden question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Rock Garden question

Post by Redbelly »

How far out do you swing around to get in there? I am wondering if I could run the shoeline in my tunnelhull to shorten the ride? Can anyone give me a clue? I want to try it soon.

Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

I've seen people run the shoreline. I've seen Steve and Butch Taylor run the shoreline. I've also heard how many lower units they've replaced.

I don't run the shoreline esp. in the wintertime.

A tunnel hull doesn't make much of a difference.

Good luck :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

I run close to or even outside the stake line; but, I'm chicken &#$*. A little bit of extra time is better than a hole lot of extra $$. If you need to get there sooner, leave earlier.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Before you rip the lower unit off your motor, you might want to be fully insured on the water (colision & towing). I've drifted through there and seen soo many roicks, the idea of throttling through there gives me the willies :o :o :o
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Don't do it.
What was I supposed to do today?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

tin can wrote:Don't do it.
Listen to the wish words of our elders :smt004
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Go ahead and run that shoreline, RB. Outboard mechanics have to eat, too.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

The shoreline is fine up to a point. After that you have to have a specific route.
Coming from the lighthouse you have nothing to avoid until you get to the Rock Garden,except ghost traps and too low water.
If you draw a line from the west boundary of Stony Bayou creek mouth,then due South,that would be the west side starting point of the rock garden. It should be safe to run from West to East to get there.

The lower unit problems came from discovering New Rocks in Old places.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Jumptrout51 wrote: The lower unit problems came from discovering New Rocks in Old places.
This is the part that should worry you. :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Y'all have done got me plum skeered! :o

But JT51 actually told me what i was looking for, where to run to and coast from there.

I will prolly take it reel slow first trip on a lower tide so I can really talk myself out of the idea. :thumbup:

Maybe a hovercraft or airboat is needed. :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

I used to run that shoreline on a high tide all the time when I had a smaller boat. Seems like you could run for a couple miles to the east without rocks. When you get close to Slough Island, slow way down for the next 10+ miles because you're liable to hit something. Thanks goodness those little 4 horse Evinrudes had pretty tough lower units.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

JT and some of the others here must make a lot more money than I do or have a bigger repair budget. There are a few serious rock piles just west of the mouth of Stoney that would love to eat lower units in water that I consider close to the shore (less than 25 yards in places). But the more skegs that get busted off, the less boat traffic to the east. As for me, I'll keep idling along with my Skegguard intact and my fingers crossed, working my spots. If you fish in eastern Apalachee Bay, sooner or later you'll have to pay the price of admission.

RB, another drawback to running the shoreline is disrupting normal patterns. If they get buzzed too often, the fish are going to find new places to hang out.
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

silverking wrote:JT and some of the others here must make a lot more money than I do or have a bigger repair budget. There are a few serious rock piles just west of the mouth of Stoney that would love to eat lower units in water that I consider close to the shore (less than 25 yards in places). But the more skegs that get busted off, the less boat traffic to the east. As for me, I'll keep idling along with my Skegguard intact and my fingers crossed, working my spots. If you fish in eastern Apalachee Bay, sooner or later you'll have to pay the price of admission.

RB, another drawback to running the shoreline is disrupting normal patterns. If they get buzzed too often, the fish are going to find new places to hang out.

In this part of the world there are rocks everywhere including some a few hundred yrds east of the lighthouse,if you go when the water is skinny you will probably have to pay the price sooner or later with a outboard.

The normal patterns have already been disrupted for 12 or 15 years now,most of y'all never got to see what used to be down there,acres wide schools of trout,redfish that one bunch might have 5 to 7000 fish in it and pompano on every big sand pile.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Benjamin Franklin 1759
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

RD,
I've been fishing the East Flats since 1992, so yes, I do remember the good old days fondly. Just because patterns aren't what they used to be doesn't mean we all shouldn't practice proper flats etiquette now. Sure, there are times when you can run at will. But buzzing the shoreline does eventually disturb habitat. Besides, we all know those rocks get up and move around in the middle of the night. :wink:
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

silverking wrote:RD,
I've been fishing the East Flats since 1992, so yes, I do remember the good old days fondly. Just because patterns aren't what they used to be doesn't mean we all shouldn't practice proper flats etiquette now. Sure, there are times when you can run at will. But buzzing the shoreline does eventually disturb habitat. Besides, we all know those rocks get up and move around in the middle of the night. :wink:
I think I hit them so hard that they move sometimes, :roll:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Benjamin Franklin 1759