50 State Goal - ½ Way Home (Photo Intense)

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

50 State Goal - ½ Way Home (Photo Intense)

Post by big bend gyrene »

After being a recreational runner since high school, decided to do my first marathon in 2003. A USMC reservist at the time, I choose the Marine Corps Marathon and ran the race in memory of a fellow USMC boot camp platoon mate who died in an Osprey crash, Sgt. Jason Buyck.

Little did I know what a TRULY long path I had started down. My wife, Pam, ran with me and in short order she was ready to run another, and another … took me longer than her to catch the multi-marathon bug, but once we both had caught the bug we REALLY caught it. Found out that there was a club for insane folks seeking to run marathons in every state and quickly joined :wink: 12 marathons in 2005, 12 in 2006, and 10 thus far in 2007. Due to repeating some states my 35 marathons run to date have taken place in 25 states. A run in Baltimore, MD, the weekend after Thanksgiving got me to the half way point and what an adventure it’s been. Versus typing more, just thought some of you out on the board might enjoy highlight pics from the travels. Would be posting more fishing photos if it weren’t for keeping 5 acres of grass cut and making trips to other states on rushed weekends while trying to keep costs to a minimum :wink:

Arlington, VA 2003

Hawaii 2005 – A state SO beautiful it's sure hard to leave!
Whales frolicking just yards from shore…
My better half (not even a close call!)

Sunriver, Oregon 2005
Hiked here immediately after the marathon… put a hurting on already sore legs!

Salt Lake City 2005
Deseret News marathon actually ends by running through the Pioneer Days parade!

Humboldt CA 2005
Something about running through giant redwoods gave this race a near magical quality… one of the least painful marathons run to date as majority of time was spent in awe of surroundings
Folks in several of the Pacific Coast states we’ve visited do a great job on their local building art…

New Orleans, LA 2006
Had run beautiful race year before Katrina, but this year it was a visit to try and help the community by again being a tourist… one picture can’t do justice to the changes we saw but it was a far different experience…
Still, the human spirit persists (and as only it can in New Orleans ;-) )

Macon, GA 2006
Local one but Macon’s mass community planting of cherry trees gives good reason to name the race the “Cherry Blossom” marathon!

Big Sur, CA 2006 – Stunning course!

Couer D’Alene, ID 2006

Williamson WV – Hatfield & McCoy 2006
Grandfather was a WV coal miner and I have Hatfield relatives, so this one was special in it’s own way… also hilly and a hot race run in June

Cocoa, FL 2006 & Disney 2007
Bart Yasso gives wife some well-deserved hardware at the Space Coast marathon!
Hotter than Hades at Disney so taking every chance to “chill”

Apache Junction AZ and Albuquerque NM 2007

Whidbey Island, WA 2007
First place visited after the race!

Bar Harbor, ME 2007
Had to take a pic of this boat – love the name!!! Image

Baltimore, MD 2007

917 marathon miles down and at least 655 to go :o This said, if the next 25 states offer even half the natural beauty and adventure of the first 25 I can't wait :-D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

thanks for sharing....
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

That boy sho is a runnin' fool :wink: :lol:

Thanks for sharing with us. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Awesome story and stunning photos!

Forrest Gump reincarnated!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Those are some great pictures and an even better story.

917 MILES :o , I'm tired for you
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Runnin'

Post by Steve Stinson »

In the words of Forrest Gump "From then on, if I was going somewhere, I was RUNNIN'"!!

- Steve Stinson
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Know I'm really opening up the door to be called crazy now, but that 900+ marathon miles put in is only the miles actually racing... to stay in shape to be ABLE to run the marathons has taken me about 1300 additional miles a year in training.

Not sure what emoticon to use after that bit of info sharing :smt010 applies as it's been quite painful at times and kept me from my love of fishing more than I like, :smt015 applies as long weekend runs leave me seeking recover "z"s, :beer: applies as I sure stay thirsty during the summer months, :lick: applies as I'm a human garbage disposal due to the running!!!
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

I think it is an admirable thing you are doing. My hats off to you.
GULP! free since 1970.
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Awesome thing that you are doing. Amazing photos.
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Devil Dog,
That is a great story with a lofty goal........a 26-miler in each State...WOW! Nice to see you taking time to enjoy the environment; great photos. Keep us posted as you add to the State total; we're pulling for you and the Ms. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."