6 volt battery set up.....

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

6 volt battery set up.....

Post by Chalk »

Cool article..anyone ever tried it? http://www.basschamps.com/proa...d=188

quick math:
Sea Volt 31(12v) - 105 Ah
Sea Volt 8L16(6v) - 350 Ah
If you ran two six volts in series that would give you around 350 Ah, a little more weight and $$$. Seems like a viable option to a 24 volt system. Interesting... :thumbup: Any thoughts
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Sounds interesting for sure.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Chalk, what's the difference in weight? My marine batteries weigh about 63-65Lbs. I have a starting/trolling battery that weighs 55Lbs, I use for cranking.(550 CCA)
Semper Fi
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

10-20 pounds depends on the make.....
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I'm wondering if the author mis quoted Clunn. I run a three 12 volt battery system. One battery powers the outboard and all other accessories. The other two power only the 24 volt trolling motor. I'm thinking Clunn has to have five batteries in board, one 12 volt for the outboard and accessories, abd four 6 volt vatteries, in series to power his trolling motor. You can't operate 12 volt systems and a 24 volt trolling motor off of the same batteries.

All that said, if you have room for four 6 volt golf cart batteries in your boat, that would surely power any 24 volt trolling motor for a while. The golf cart batteries are both high amperage and deep cycle.
What was I supposed to do today?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

The six volts I have looked at are close to the same size as a regular 12 with exception to the height. My take on what he is running is a 12 volt system....two batteries for the trolling motor and two for the cranking system.....Don't know..think I will call him :wink: I think the biggest weiging factor is battery capacity versus draw..might do some math later..only had one cup of mud so far... :lol:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

That's the understanding I had TC. That he was running a 12V trolling motor system. I wondered, because anyone who has ever ran a 24V system knows there is a world of difference in the pound thrust between the two. For fast current and skipping over unproductive water, you sometimes need to move fast without cranking your big motor. Can't imagine Clunn settling for the 12V.
Semper Fi