50 State Goal - Nevada Down, 24 States to Go!

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

50 State Goal - Nevada Down, 24 States to Go!

Post by big bend gyrene »

26 down, 24 to go... visited Henderson, Nevada, (just outside Vegas) this past weekend to run the inaugural "Running from an Angel" marathon.

Pretty interesting race - created as a sister race to the "Running with the Devil" marathon, run on the same course in June when the temps hover around 115. Quite a hilly course run along the mountain range circling Lake Mead...

Temps for the Angel race were much more friendly than the Devil race, around 50 degrees, though storms blowing eastward out of California kept the winds gusting at a tough 25mph. Average times for the Angel race were probably around the 4.5 hour mark, a full two hours less than the Devil race. Proud to say my wife brought home some hardware for being the second place overall female. First place female is quite well known in the marathon community for her toughness, having run between 20 to 30+ marathons per year the past few years. She's a pretty inspirational woman - started tackling marathons after battling cancer in 2003, and at the age of 53 not only takes 1st place in her age group for most races she runs, but also has been the overall winner in multiple races the past few years. Having the chance to meet, speak, and run with her made the trip a memorable one for both my wife and me. Next up - Kansas in April, and Colorado in May...

Last edited by big bend gyrene on January 13th, 2008, 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: 50 State Goal - Nevada Down, 24 States to Go!

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Cool deal :thumbup:
I'm tired now, need to take a nap :sleep:
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Dang tough. Congrats to you and your wife :thumbup:
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

awesome for sure :thumbup: but,....did you catch any fish? :wink:
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

"awesome for sure :thumbup: but,....did you catch any fish? :wink:"

Heck, no - pretty rushed trip so not only did I not wet a line but didn't even find the time to throw a dollar in a slot machine! :cry:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

gorgeous scenery out there :thumbup:
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image