Dead Jacks

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Koenig

Dead Jacks

Post by Koenig »

Good day all! Hit the Aucilla yesterday with a friend. As we headed down river we noticed dead, or dieing Jacks all over the place. Only saw one dead trout. Anyone know what happened?
LIVE TO FISH!!!!
What a mess

Re: Dead Jacks

Post by What a mess »

D cold man D cold
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

We saw several, too.
What was I supposed to do today?
Koenig

Post by Koenig »

Other than the cold, can anyone think of what else it might be?
LIVE TO FISH!!!!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

It's definitely the cold. I spoke to JR at his store recently and he mentioned the dead jacks in the river. The water temp dropped severely in that last cold snap around the first of Jan.

When I was growing up in Tampa, we used to fish the power plant outflow canals in the winter due to the warm water attracting the fish. When we only caught jacks and catfish, we learned to back away from the power plant a little to find cooler water. The jacks are real tolerant of heat, but can't handle the cold.

- Steve Stinson
ak man

Post by ak man »

It's the cold, they had a huge fish kill down in the keys, lots of snappers and baitfish died around the shallow water reefs.
tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic
Koenig

Post by Koenig »

Roger that. There was a guy down there scooping them up. His boat was almost ful. Those things aren't good to eat, wonder what he wanted them for.......
LIVE TO FISH!!!!
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I've eat'n the yellow tail jacks...wasn't nothin wrong with them that I could tell.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Koenig wrote:Roger that. There was a guy down there scooping them up. His boat was almost ful. Those things aren't good to eat, wonder what he wanted them for.......

They make excellent chum
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

Jacks under 5 lbs are good eating,bigger than that they are strong tasting,the freeze did kill some trout and a few mullet.Most of the trout were caught in pot holes and gullys on the flats when the tide blew out and then the water temp dropped way down that night.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Benjamin Franklin 1759
Koenig

Post by Koenig »

Oh, everything I have read puts them on the low end as far as food quality. Learn something new everyday, thanks mates! :D
LIVE TO FISH!!!!
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

Koenig wrote:Oh, everything I have read puts them on the low end as far as food quality. Learn something new everyday, thanks mates! :D
They are not going to eat as good as a fresh N. Fla Mullet but if the yankees want to eat them :roll: then that saves more of the good stuff for us. :-D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Benjamin Franklin 1759
ak man

Post by ak man »

Sir Reel is on the money. Yellow tail jacks are good eating. I'm pretty particular about the fish I'll eat, and I thought they were really good.
tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic
bman

Post by bman »

I've cooked them before- they have a sweet flavor. Very tasty.
You have to be willing to fight the Y Bones for the meat just like a northern pike.
Found this ...
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"