Garmin GPS and Google Earth

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

macky69

Garmin GPS and Google Earth

Post by macky69 »

My garmin has a format of N38*51.333 W94*47.333
Google Earth has a form like 38*51'41.22"N 94*47'33.33"W

numbers are just ficticious and the * symbol is for degres.

Anyone have any luck using google earth numbers to manually plug into a gps?

Thanks in advance
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Re: Garmin GPS and Google Earth

Post by Barhopr »

you can change the format in the GPS under setup. then change the location format to hddd mm' ss.s
you can convert LORAN TD too, but it ain't accurate.
:thumbup:

Or change Google earth format under tools, options. Change format to match GPS. Which ever.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I'm not a subscriber of Google Earth Plus...but there is an option in the task bar to select your GPS device of the choices Garmin is one of them. Someone else may know if that option does what you want. Absent that option, I believe if you change the formatting on your Garmin to match Google Earth you can enter the numbers you want and then change the format of your Garmin back to the way it was and the GPS will make the conversion for you. Without knowning exactly what you want to do... I use Maptech which is free and has the option of giving you the position in the form your looking for.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
macky69

Post by macky69 »

I want to get the #'s for the east/west end of Dog Island Reef and a few river/creek entrance's. It looks like if you zoom in close it would be pretty accurate. I'll try to changr the format, input the #'s and then change back. Thank! :thumbup:
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

macky69 wrote:I want to get the #'s for the east/west end of Dog Island Reef and a few river/creek entrance's. It looks like if you zoom in close it would be pretty accurate. I'll try to changr the format, input the #'s and then change back. Thank! :thumbup:
it is...zoom in and round if you just want a general point (eg. the "ends" of DIR)
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

macky69 wrote:My garmin has a format of N38*51.333 W94*47.333
Google Earth has a form like 38*51'41.22"N 94*47'33.33"W

Anyone have any luck using google earth numbers to manually plug into a gps?

Thanks in advance
I used both of those numbers andi t put me on one side of a high school in Olathe, Kansas or the other. Make sure you take out the N and W from the Garmin numbers and get rid of that * sign.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

:o
Macky69 wrote:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
macky69

Post by macky69 »

Sir reel wrote:
I believe if you change the formatting on your Garmin to match Google Earth you can enter the numbers you want and then change the format of your Garmin back to the way it was and the GPS will make the conversion for you.

Sir Reel....I gave it a shot and it worked perfect. Thanks!!! :thumbup: