NMFS Final vote today !

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

NMFS Final vote today !

Post by Frank Bradfield »

If your not keeping up your new regs are being set today. Final chance for public to speak. From what I read Crabtree and his boys are going to get a 4 month Grouper closure Jan 15th - Apr 15th. Plus 3 fish aggregate bag limit , only 1 gag. Charter boats will have the same regs. Sucks for the charter guys. Best case is the fisherman give enough grief to make it hurt a little less than this. Something bad is going down today either way !
GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Re: NMFS Final vote today !

Post by GAJOEY »

This is a sure bet to put several charter captians out of buisness.I can't see how they can keep running with limits like this as well as the price of fuel.The average person is not going to want to go on a charter trip with limits like this ..it is not worth it at all. Not enough bang for your buck ..Most people only get to go offshore once or twice a year and the cost is about $250 to $300 and Most people usually stay the night add on another $150 to $200 and $100 for gas = $600.. 3 groupers 5 snappers a 5 triggers and a Mahi Mahi = 14 fish \ $600 = $42.50 a fish Deal or No Deal.
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Hope you didn't like grouper fishing ! The vote is in. New regulations to come unless it gets overturned. 3 month closure and 3 bag limit, only 1 gag. This is the biggest bunch of BS i've ever heard in my life !
ak man

Post by ak man »

I don't understand, if you can only keep one red, and now, 1 gag, how do you come up with a 3 fish total per man?? Or is that 3 total grouper per boat?? What month are the closures?? This is all serious BS :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Their allowing 2 reds , 1 gag. Closed season Jan 15 thru Apr 15th. Final drafts will be done up thru April, could take effect as early as Dec. 08. Senator Nelsons office will be getting 1000's of emails and letters. Hopefully someone can step in. Still wont effect state waters from what i understand. I'll be looking for more places 9 miles and in. On the brighter side, not much, I read where they are going to leave the AJ limit alone. 1 per man but increase the size limit to 30". ( yippie )
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Is it 3 per man or boat?
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Post by GAJOEY »

Frank Bradfield wrote:I'll be looking for more places 9 miles and in. ( yippie )
As will most other fishermen I would think ....You offshore fishermen out there,I have one honest question? Are the grouper stocks in this much danger of being overfished? Can you go at any given time and catch grouper in good numbers. Have you seen a decline in grouper catches in recent years? I do not go offshore often because I can't afford it,but everytime I have been we have caught fish ..not the limit every time by any means but always caught a nice mess of fish.it would be nice to hear from offshore fishermen if the grouper stocks are that bad or not.
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

3 per man.. combo.. but only 1 gag.. I know in the big bend area gags are plentiful. I see them every time I dive. Small ones cover most reefs. No shortage I can see..
grouperdawg

Post by grouperdawg »

I fish closer to PC offshore, usually just west of swansons to maybe 30 - 40 miles west of swansons. It has always fluctuated, but everytime I go out we still catch plenty of aggregate grouper. I have seen an increase in red & decrease in gag over the last 5 years. When they implemented the 1 red per person it seemed all you could catch were reds. I have caught plenty of scamp, they seem plentiful as well. Offshore, I do not see as many snapper, but inshore they are everywhere. It also depends on the spot, one spot may be loaded with just snapper & another may be loaded with grouper. I have also seen an increase in flipper, and they are grabbing the fish more often on the way up then they used to. They used to wait until you threw it overboard, now they just grab it and haul on the way up. I have heard long liners are having it tough & are moving further west. But they are trying to catch thousands of pounds of fish, the few hundred guys or what ever that have the same tac as the millions who recreational fish.
DF 1860DLX

Post by DF 1860DLX »

I'll be looking for more places 9 miles and in.

Unfortunately the state has already said it will adopt the federal regs. So it looks like Grouper fishing in general is screwed.
2003 G3 1860DLX
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

GAJOEY wrote:
Frank Bradfield wrote:I'll be looking for more places 9 miles and in. ( yippie )
As will most other fishermen I would think ....You offshore fishermen out there,I have one honest question? Are the grouper stocks in this much danger of being overfished? Can you go at any given time and catch grouper in good numbers. Have you seen a decline in grouper catches in recent years? I do not go offshore often because I can't afford it,but everytime I have been we have caught fish ..not the limit every time by any means but always caught a nice mess of fish.it would be nice to hear from offshore fishermen if the grouper stocks are that bad or not.

Unfortunately we have a group that have been trying to get rid of all commercial fishermen and have recruited the recreational fishermen for manpower and money to do it with.For years they have hammered in the fact that commercial fishermen have over fished everything,sold y'all with propaganda that we have wiped out all the fish.Now we all have to pay the price. The amended Magnuson Act requires that any fishery that is declared "over fished" has to be recovered by 2010.
The grouper you are seeing out there now are no different than all the redfish we were seeing back in the mid to late 80s when they were telling us the fishery had collapsed.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Benjamin Franklin 1759
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

If you believe that there is a shortage of grouper in the gulf, you probably also believe in man-made global warming :roll:
We've been fishing some of the same spots for years (recreational), and there are just as many fish on them today as there was 10-15 years ago.

As for the new proposed regs, you know the saying....... the best explanation is usually the simplest..."FOLLOW THE $$$$$$."
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com