Take A Kid Fishing (IMPORTANT UPDATE)

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Take A Kid Fishing (IMPORTANT UPDATE)

Post by Sir reel »

..................... Image

I’ve been ask to start a thread for volunteers to get on the “Captain’s List” for the Take a Kid Fishing” event. The youngsters are all from the Baptist Children’s Home. This year’s activity will be held on April 12th so mark your calendars, get your permission slips signed or what ever clearance you need and get in line. :D . I will try to pass on any new information as it becomes available, but for now, here is the agenda. The planned staging area will be the grassy shore along the river in front of the Fort. We are aware that the launching area will be closed during that time for construction. We are checking with Shields Marina to see if a discount to the launching fee can be offered. I would suggest that Captains plan on launching at Shields and then motoring down to the staging area where they will be assigned a young angler or two. Each youth will be accompanied by a chaperone, so keep that in mind for space considerations. I would also suggest that each Captain make arrangements for a mate to help with bait, terminal tackle, and basic gear instruction. Each Captain will be expected to have all the gear, coast guard equipment, etc. for their vessel. In the past, each youngster has come complete with a life vest but it would be a good idea for you to be prepared just in case. Please indicate if you can handle 1 or 2 youngsters. If we follow the past schedule, all boats will return to the pavilion at the Fort around 1pm for a hot dog cook out and social time. By the way, if you have a youngster of your own, please don’t leave them at home. You are encouraged to bring them along . The interaction will be welcomed. This will be my 4 th year participating and I look forward to it each time. The first year I was a bit apprehensive but that soon disappeared when it became apparent that no matter what happened, this was an exciting experience for every one of the youngsters regardless if any fish were caught or not. Even the most trashy species (by our standards) was a priceless trophy in their eyes. So, here is an opportunity to provide (in most cases) the first and in some cases maybe the only experience of this nature these young people will ever have. Do you remember a parent or grand parent spending time and taking you fishing for the first time? This is your chance to give back some of that experience to another youngster and become a special person in their eyes.

If you have any questions, let me know or give Don England a call at 850-510-0828. I’ve already heard from Fishfeeder so I’ll put him first on the list. Lets hear from you Captains who would like to participate. Thanks.

Take A Kid Fishing Captains List

Fishfeeder (1 or 2) 18' flats boat
Sir Reel (1 or 2) 19' Carolina Skiff
CatchYourLimit (2 +) 24' Pontoon
Robert Andrews and Glenn Koenig(Koenig) (2+) 22' Sea Pro Bay Boat
Last edited by Sir reel on April 14th, 2008, 2:21 pm, edited 8 times in total.
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Take A Kid Fishing

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY BUD, THIS IS A GREAT THING YOU ARE HEADING. I WENT LAST YEAR AND HAD A BALL. I WAS ABOUT TO SIGN UP FOR THIS YEAR AND BABE CAME BY AND REMINDED ME I HAD AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE HOSPITAL ON THE 12TH. SORRY I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE THERE FOR THE KIDS DAY. ANY OF YOU BOYS THAT HAVE NOT PARTISIPATED IN KIDS DAY REALLY NEED TO GET INTO THE ACTION AND GIVE A KID AN EXPERIENCE OF HIS LIFE TIME.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA
FUTCHCAIRO
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good luck with the Hospital PA. :thumbup: I appreciate the reply. :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
CatchYourLimit

Post by CatchYourLimit »

We should be able to do it... Let me check with the bossman who has the keys to a pontoon boat and we could possibly take two. I will make the calll when I know for sure. This is a great, great thing.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks CatchYL :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

The event may seem like a long way off... but it's 4 weeks from Saturday. Don't get caught short. Make your plans now and let us know. We want to make sure that all the youngsters who want to go will have a ride. We are anticipating 25 - 30 youngsters but won't know for sure until the week before the event. Lets step up. Thanks. :thumbup: :D
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

Count my boat in........I can take 2 kids....... 18' Flats Boat........
If you release them they will grow!!!!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HOW ABOUT IT GUYS, SIR REEL NEEDS YOU TO STEP UP NOW NOT LATER. THIS WILL NOT ONLY BOOST THE CLUB IN THE COMMUNITY BUT WILL GIVE YA A GREAT EXPERIENCE. DON'T MAKE BE COME DOWN THERE WITH MY SCATTER GUN TO ENCOURAGE YA.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA
FUTCHCAIRO
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

BTT.
OK folks. PA has ask me fer addresses! :o He takes this stuff serious :D

ImageImage
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

SR, thanks for your help
Here is my list of captains, most all are multiple offenders for this event

Ben Cowart
Mat Ellinor
Dan Ellinor
Don England
David Griffin
Mike Griggs
Bud Halbert
Inman Hartsfield
Jim Mckinnell
Bob O'Lary
Doug Russell
Capt Mike Scibelli
Marty Spears
Terry Tadlock
Mike Taylor
Nick Wiley
Last edited by Greenbone on March 31st, 2008, 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CatchYourLimit

Post by CatchYourLimit »

SR, I got the word from Captain Tom Laughon. We are a go. We've got a 24 ft pontoon and could probably handle the two kids and chaperones. Can't wait!
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks Catch :thumbup: I appreciate your follow up :D
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks to Robert Andrews and Glenn Koenig (login: Koenig) for joining the list of volunteers to Take A Kid Fishing. :D :thumbup:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I received some more information from Don England related to the event. As promised, I am passing it along. As indicated below, we still need folks to step up and make themselves available. Thanks.
The blast off will be between 8:00 and 8:30 a.m. from Shields. I do have the launch fee waived and I will give each captain a sticker and tape to identify that they are participants in this event. This will all occur at the registration that morning prior to the blast off. We will set up a registration table and each captain will be responsible for coming and collecting his/her registration packet and child.

As always, there will be a cook out at 1:00 p.m. at the San Marco picnic ground. Unfortunately, the pavillion is not available as they will be doing construction in that area - not a good place for kids.

We still need about 10-12 boats.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I think I have a Boy Scout event that weekend, but if not, I'll drag the Ol'Pro down.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!