Atticus and Team Keels, East of the lighthouse, 3-29-08

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

Atticus and Team Keels, East of the lighthouse, 3-29-08

Post by Atticus »

Put in at the LH around 'shooting light' if we were duck hunters. Ran to the East. Flat as a board.

First flat. No luck on topwater. Water temp around 63. TK goes with soft plastic jerkbait, I throw mirrolure. I put a nice enough trout in the box. Then TK adds a keeper and we also land a couple shorts. Bite stops with the tide. We decide to use our time to idle in shallower.

We get to spot #2. This is going to require some finnesse. Minn Kota doesn't want to play. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: Spot #2 won't work without it. Fish a little, get discouraged, decide to do something else.

Idle deeper into spot #3. Few short trout and a keeper. No water moving, no wind. This isn't going to be a banner day. 3 keepers in the box. Grass looks good, water is clear, its a little cold, and there is no tide. Plus the moon phase isnt' all that great.

Tom directs us to spot #4. Deeper water. Water is cloudy. First cast on a straight jig Tom reels a blue to the gunnel. Spanish andblues are visible through the murk when they swirl on our baits. This is like trash fishing. Not looking good.

Reposition our drift. throwing straight jigs. Tom hooks a MONSTER FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is it? He thinks its a huge red. We have to chase it with the boat. Tom stands on bow. I idle after the fish. We catch it and it pulls more drag on another run. We chase it again. Tom is directing the orchestra from the bow. No boga grip. Little rubber net is all I got. Tom is hooked up on a with a bass-sized Curado. The fish rises, its on the surface. Its a huge red. 38 inches or more. It looks tired. It swirls, the line goes slack. Leader broke.

Well that livened things up. Lets go hit that drift again. We reposition. A few strikes from the blue/spanish cowd. The water is getting clearer. Its about 66 degrees by now.

I am throwing a 2500 Stradic. 10/2 PowerPro. Cotee jig head from Walmart. Team Daiwa Inshore ML rod from Walmart. 5" Gulp jerkshad in white. 25lb floro leader. .50 cent Spro swivel the size of a sugar ant.

Nice hit. Solid hookup. FIsh stays low. Hes fighting but hugging the bottom. "No I'm allright Tom." "I got him under control." "No, we don't need to fire up." Fish takes a run, then another one, then a third...

"Okay Tom lets run this guy down a bit." Fish runs straight. Fish runs left. FIsh runs right. Tom is on the wheel. I am trying to hold on.

The fish runs then wallows in the bottom. We idle up. The fish runs back below the boat under the transom and reverses course. We spin around. The rod is talking to me. There is no backbone in it. I use it to toss jerkbaits a country mile. This is out of spec. I can't horse the fish if I tried. The fish makes a couple more cutbacks under the transom when we idle up on him. We have been on him for about 15 minutes. He comes up. Huge red.

Tom gets him in the boat.

Awesome experience. We hit the same drift a few more times. Jackson puts a spanish in the box and we bag another keeper trout that I gut hooked. Headed into the ramp early and got the boat washed.

Just filleted the trout and they were full of roe.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Atticus and Team Keels, East of the lighthouse, 3-29-08

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Eventful day guys. That red is gonna' taste good baked. :thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Yep, we were given lemons and made lemonade. Turned out to be a sweet day. Spanish and Blues are here in force. A couple more degrees of water temp and it will be on like donkey kong.

Thanks for the trip, it was a lot of fun.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Dats a big arse red :thumbup:

Awesome fish gents. Congrats on making it happen :thumbup:
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Dayum! Nice red! :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: THIS IS ENVY!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Suweeeet :thumbup: :thumbup:
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

Thats a hellavu nice fish guys! :thumbup: :beer:
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Nice fish guys :thumbup: :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Mook!
Site Sponsor

Post by Mook! »

Well it looks like it was at least on like 'donkey' today. Kinda makes the pig Mojo caught today look like a little pup. So much for the worst tide of the year - we did ok too...report to follow...
Mookbait! At least 401 times better than live bait!

He who have signature line make bigger post.
mojokoko

Post by mojokoko »

I hate you Tom Keels....
Team Diehard -> Will Fish on an Inner-tube with a small craft advisory. Booyah
Proud member of the AKL
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Them wuz sum big boys!
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

nice trips gents. Hellava red too!
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice red :thumbup: :thumbup:
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :beer: That is one nice red!! I haven't seen one that big on the flats. And it sounds like the fishing is getting better.
Yours in the South