Take A Kid Fishing (IMPORTANT UPDATE)

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Mook!
Site Sponsor

Re: Take A Kid Fishing

Post by Mook! »

You can count me in - unfortunately my boat is too small to take more than one, but I'll take one. Talked to mojokoko about it this evening and I believe he will take his boat as well, but I'll let him confirm that here somewheres.
Mookbait! At least 401 times better than live bait!

He who have signature line make bigger post.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks to Mook and Shorenuff for joining the "floatila for fun" :D :thumbup: Event is a week from this coming Saturday (April 12th). I'm sure the kids are getting excited. Current list now reads as follows:

Fishfeeder (1 or 2) 18' flats boat
Sir Reel (1 or 2) 19' Carolina Skiff
CatchYourLimit (2 +) 24' Pontoon
Robert Andrews and Glenn Koenig(Koenig) (2+) 22' Sea Pro Bay Boat
What a Mess 2 kids 23' Carolina Skiff (NEED'S A HELPER)
RunningBare and Mate 3 kids maximum for total of 5 onboard. 24’ Wellcraft cuddy (SquaredAway)
Mook (1 kid)
Shorenuff (? # of Kids) 19ft Carolina Skiff
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
fishful_thinkin

Post by fishful_thinkin »

Sir Reel - You can count on 2 in ShoreNuff's Boat. Dad and Mom are ready! :thumbup:
Less Work! More Fishing!
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Captains, let me thank you for your help to make this another day of adventure for these little people. I just got off the phone with Tim Hadley, house parent at the Jones cottage.We have 25 kids and 25 Captains and boats. here is my latest list
Ben Cowart
Mat Ellinor/ Kitchen Pass
Don England /Greenbone
David Griffin/ Rodbow
Mike Griggs /Nolefear
Bud Halbert/Sir Reel
Inman Hartsfield
Bob O'Lary
Doug Russell/PompaNole
Capt Mike Scibelli/AnsweredPrayers
Marty Spears
Terry Tadlock
Mike Taylor
Nick Wiley
Mike Ford
Brad Hoard/ Branch Office
Fishfeeder
Catchyourlimit
R.Andrews/G.Koenig
Jim Chason
Steve Stinson/Wetjet
What a mess
Jim Bachemin/RunninBare
Fishfulthinkin/Shorenuff
Mook
All the kids are getting excited about going fishing .They all usually bring a snack pack and something to drink,but its not usually enough, these kids get hungary as soon as they get on the boat.They will all have their own life jacket, but spares will be available if needed.Registration will be set up at 7am at Sheilds close to the cleaning tables. I would like to have all the kids matched with their captains between 8:00am and 8:20am.As soon as you receive your little angler,you can be on your way.Try to be back in as close to 1pm as posible for the cookout.Hotdogs will be ready at the picnic area on the norh side of Fort San Marco.There's plenty of parking since the ramp is under construction,just trailor your boat over with your crew and little angler-and let the fishin stories begin.
If anyone has questions, call me 850 510 0828
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

:D Great job of organizing Don! :thumbup: Thanks for your work. And a special thanks to all the folks who are donating their time, and resources to make this a special day for some youngsters... you will be blessed. :smt023 :smt045
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

TAKF is coming up this Saturday, April 12. Captains, please confirm that you are still fishing and include the following information:

List of your crew, including the ages of any children on board and whether they are boys or girls
Cell phone number

Some of you have already provided that information, but as I'm working on the database to assign children to your boat, I'd like you to confirm it again.

Boat launch is still at Shields Marina and they have waived the launch fee.

I went to St. Mark's this afternoon and noted that the pavillion at the fort is still usable. There were people using the boat ramp; however, I wouldn't recommend it. The bank area at the pavillion is clear and available at this time. If it is still clear next week, we will stage there to pick up the children and have the blast off. Your cell phone number is very important so that I can inform you of any last minute changes.

The children will be at the pavillion by 8:00. Please have your boat and crew available at the pavillion at that time. I will provide you with an information packet when you check in at the pavillion. The packet will include a name tag with your name and your guest angler's name.

We will return to the pavillion at 1:00 for the cookout/weenie roast a fish tales.

Captains, thank you so much for providing your boat and time. As always, call/email me with any questions.

Don England
Bow'd Up

Post by Bow'd Up »

I'm in if you can take another boat. My 7yr old will be with me and I could definately take 1 maybe 2 little anglers. Please let me know if I can help....20' 'Skeeter Bay boat......
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

I wanted to do this but my daughters B-day party is that day.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Sent you an email with the information this morning Don.
:thumbup: :D
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I've been going back through this thread to see if the subject of "pictures" had been addressed and I did not find any mention so I need to make sure it's covered. I know we all enjoy pictures along with our posts; however, for this event there are some very important criteria that must be followed. Many of the young folks who we will be taking out fishing are in situations where information on their location is guarded. Under NO circumstances should you take pictures of your guests and post them on this or any other forum. I have in the past taken pictures of my guests, had them developed, and then personally taken them to the Childrens Home and given them to the child that accompanied me. They always seem to appreciate the pictures. If pictures are taken that don't include the child, those would be fine to post. These kids are very well behaved. I'm sure you will be impressed as I have been at their manners and courtesy. It's hard NOT to take a picture of a kid who is enjoying themselves but it's important in this case. Thanks to all who have volunteered their time and resources.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Re: Take A Kid Fishing (IMPORTANT UPDATE)

Post by Sir reel »

I noticed on another thread that there is still apparently some interest for folks to join the Take a Kid Fishing (bow'd up). I just spoke with Don England and we want to let everyone know that as of today, we have 25 kids and 25 boats/crews. In fact, we have two young brothers who will need to be placed on the same boat. That means that we have 25 boats committed and 24 placements. If someone happens to have a conflict or teatering on the verge, let me know as soon as possible before we've made the assignments. We want to thank all the folks who have committed to making this event a good one. We don't want to overlook anyone who still would like to be a part of this event. If you want to participate in the fishing, social, hot dog eat'n, etc., PLEASE feel free to join in. Especially if you have young anglers of your own, come join us. It's always possible that someone could have an unexpected last minute issue that would keep them from participating and we would possibly need either a back up or add an additional kid to someone who had the boat to handle it. Thanks again, and anyone who would like to be a "standby" and could be activated on short notice, let me know and I'll try to keep you informed.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Just had a note from Don England....
Bud , we have had 2 boats cancell, Marty Spears and David Griffith. That would make room for 1 more. Call you later
It looks like we could use one more Captain/Crew. How bout it bow'd up?? :D
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Re: Take A Kid Fishing (WEATHER UPDATE)

Post by Greenbone »

Say some prayers for Saturday's weather. Looks a bit "iffy" at this time, but we're holding out for fishing weather and will keep every one up to date if we have to reschedule.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

If the current forecast holds up we should be in good shape to "get'r done" for Saturday morning and finish by 1pm at the Fort Shelter. :D :thumbup: That's not to say that a Prayer or two would hurt anything!! :wink: :thumbup:
SATURDAY
SOUTHWEST WIND 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING NORTHWEST 10 TO
15 KNOTS IN THE EVENING. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. PROTECTED WATERS
SMOOTH INCREASING TO A LIGHT TO MODERATE CHOP IN THE EVENING. A
CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS...THEN A CHANCE OF RAIN IN
THE EVENING.
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

Great :thumbup: :thumbup:
If you release them they will grow!!!!