Lake Talquin 4,5 April 08

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

chugbug

Lake Talquin 4,5 April 08

Post by chugbug »

We fished for bass both days. It was the first time there and it seemed pretty muddied up on the Norh end but I cant say what it normally looks like. It was very windy both days with a huge storm blowing through about 1300 saturday that chased us off for the weekend. Now for the report or lack thereof. We put in at Williams instead of Coe's because we figured that being towards the middle would give us more flexibility because we were idling everywhere. Some people are crazy running in that place. Anyway, we fished right at the ramp on friday morning and caught a few nice fish in the pads on speed worms and horny toads. We then set off exploring and headed to Little River. (didnt know that at the time) and it was very muddy and windy. Nothing there worth talking about. The rest of the day was spent idling around and looking bouncing off stumps once in a while to remind us why we were idling. :roll: We headed down towards Coe's and fished in that bay and caught a decent fish on a worm. then went into the river a ways. What a beautiful place. We didnt catch a thing up there despite how good it looked.

Saturday pretty much stunk. There was a tournament (or two) and boats were everywhere. I wanted to check out the West end of the lake but didn't get a chance with the weather blowing in. The lake looks awesome. On a side note, I saw a guy catch a few slabs dropping minnows in the pads.
Olebiker

Re: Lake Talquin 4,5 April 08

Post by Olebiker »

I've never been on Talquin when the wind wasn't blowing a gale.
GoneFishin

Post by GoneFishin »

cool deal...any top water action?
"Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish."
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

Horney toads are topwater, speed worms are very near the top. I did catch one on a watermelon seed lizard saturday. I only threw it a little bit and had two bites and caught one. I probably could of done better if I threw it earlier.
Swampbugs

Post by Swampbugs »

I was out there yesterday an it IS muddy. You're right about people running crazy across the lake. I've been fishing it for years and have a general idea of where the channel is but it isn't enought to make me brave enough to run wide open across it. I have a hard time believing that the out of staters in the tourny's know the lake well enough to take those chances but I've yet to see anyone lose a transom. I'm sure it happens occaisonally,though.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I've been fishing Talquin for 35 years. I run my bass boat WOT out there. You just have to know where you are. My rule has always been if you know where you are, run. If you think you know where you are, slow down. If you don't know where you are, idle or trolling motor. That said, all of us that run that lake know it ain't a matter of if, it's a matter of when. I've replaced 2 transoms and a boat bottom as a result of running Talquin.

The bottom end of the lake isn't too bad. Anywhere above Williams, and you better know exactly where you are.
What was I supposed to do today?
Swampbugs

Post by Swampbugs »

Yeah, I usually fish that area from the river to Williams. I know some of the paths through there but that stretch from the curtain to williams always slows me down to a crawl. I'll be glad when they drain next time so I can mark the channel.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Swampbugs wrote: I'll be glad when they drain next time so I can mark the channel.
You can mark it when the lake is down, but I don't think you'll run it after the lake fills back up. There are so many twists and turns between Williams and The Curtain you would turn your boat inside out trying to run it.
What was I supposed to do today?
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

Them stumps move too.
Swampbugs

Post by Swampbugs »

I'm sure you're right. Looking at it on a map it does look pretty winding. I'm never in that big a hurry when I'm fishing, anyway. Kinda defeats the purpose.