Aucilla 4/20

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

caseycook

Aucilla 4/20

Post by caseycook »

Picked JonBoat up at his house at 6 a.m. and made the trek down to the Aucilla. We didn’t get on the water until 7:45, but had to idle out of the river because I was breaking in a new motor. We were finally able to start fishing about 8:45. While idling we got bored and took a few shots of the river.

After about 45 minutes, we couldn’t stand idling anymore, so we decided to fish in a spot near the mouth of the river. We both threw topwaters, but JB had the hot hand early. He was throwing a gold Super Spook Jr. and was having a blowup practically every cast. He caught some small trout and a keeper Spanish and I picked up a 15.5” trout on the Super Spook as well.

We made a move East and fished some spotty bottom in about 3.5’ of water. The small trout bite continued and JB lost a smallish red at the boat. I decided that small trout were for the birds and so we decided to head in and check on the pets. I hadn’t been out of the Aucilla in about 6 weeks due to a boat on the DL and so it was nice to find fish on the old honey holes. At the first stop in shallow, the first cast with the Bite A Bait topwalker resulted in a monster blow-up…five minutes later and a 26.5” red was in the boat.

We power-poled down after the hit and made a few casts to the area once it settled down. JB hooked up on the jig and I had another big blow-up on the topwater. I was able to get my trout to the boat…a nice 24” pig, but in the process of netting my fish and fighting his fish, JB lost his red.

We picked the PP up and continued drifting and didn’t get sixty feet before I had another big blowup. This time it was a fat 22” trout.

We left the area to let it settle down some and moved to the West. In area #2, I had another big blowup and was able to bring in a 24.5” trout. Unfortunately, I’d taken the Boga grip out of the boat while it was in the shop and had left it sitting in the garage. While trying to get the big girl ready for a picture, I “mooked” it and she flopped out of my hands and back into the water.

We continued moving in towards the grass line shore and again had another big hit on the TW. I brought a nice fat 21” trout to the boat and again “mooked” it while JB was getting the camera out. Trout are some slippery buggers.

And finally, the Magazine Cover shot...and don't hate on the lucky fishing "Dukes".

It was a fun way with a good friend. Enjoyed it Wade.

We only fished for two hours and caught 7 trout to 24.5” with four over 20” and two reds to 26.5”. The idle home took an hour, but we were off the water by 12:30.

T – 70 ; R - 45
Last edited by caseycook on April 21st, 2008, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Aucilla 4/20

Post by Reel Cowboy »

NICE is all I can say.

Glad you got your flats yacht back.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Glad to see you back CC
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

Nice fish CC I almost called you to see if you wanted to do some catchin in my neck of the woods on Sunday, but it looks like you did just fine :thumbup: :beer:
striperguy17

Post by striperguy17 »

nice fish casey.
Florida State University
mjm06h@fsu.edu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Faith is the ability not to panic"
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Great trip CC>
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Nice job Casey. Good to see the "pets" are still around."
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

Nice day CC!! Glad to hear you got the new motor and everything is back to normal, now just stay off those rock piles!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jon Boat

Post by Jon Boat »

Casey and I usually have some sort of boat or weather issue when we go fishing but today both cooperated beautifully and I woke up on time!

We caught fish at every spot we fished as usual with Capt. CC and his pet trout and reds were waiting right where he said they would be. He failed to mention how fat theose trout were, which the pics dont really capture (even the ones he "Mooked" :lol: )!

I did a good job on the net and camera since I couldnt seem to get any good'uns to the boat but I look forward to getting back out on the water again with one of my oldest fishing buddies.

Get ready for Redfish on the halfshell and fried trout toight! :lick:
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Good day of fishing, fellers :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

That's a good catch CC, Way to stay on top of those fish. :thumbup:
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
Mook!
Site Sponsor

Post by Mook! »

:smt043
Mookbait! At least 401 times better than live bait!

He who have signature line make bigger post.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

After "mooking" a large fish...methinks there might be some rather "salty" language! :-D

Nothing beats topwater!!!!!!! :thumbup:
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Sounds like a good few hours to me :thumbup: :thumbup:
bman

Post by bman »

Good day Casey--- I'm ready to go!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"