Alligator Point - Lanark 4/27

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

boggob
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point - Lanark 4/27

Post by boggob »

Picked up my new ride on 4/26 and took it for a river cruise on the St Marks

Went to Alligator Point on Sunday, 4/27. Caught a few.
5 Shorts
2 Legals
1 20"
and a Spanish

Fish were caught on Blurp (new penny), Gulp (mango and nuclear chicken), Yokuzuri, and DOA white/pink. I had a blow up at Papa Dawg but his mouth must have been too small. My buddy has the highlights:

The new boat was fun:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Alligator Point - Lanark 4/27

Post by MudDucker »

Hey...you stole my boat. I've been studying that Panga 18 Skiff and I really like what I see. Give us a report of how you like it and what you dislike about it. Where did you purchase it?
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
ak man

Post by ak man »

sweet ride, I love the honda 4 strokes
tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

MudDucker wrote:Hey...you stole my boat. I've been studying that Panga 18 Skiff and I really like what I see. Give us a report of how you like it and what you dislike about it. Where did you purchase it?

Please give us some review. That boat obvious works in a lot of other locations.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

I have been watching, dreaming about them for about a year now so I put my money where my mouth has been. It is awesome. My only issues is that it is light in the bow and wants to drift sideways. I am hoping a simple fix would be a hydrofoil.

As far as running with motor is concerned, its fine. It handled the curves of the upper part of the river without any issues. I am still adjusting to the 40 vs the 9.9 I had on my Gheenoe.

It provides me with everything I enjoyed about the Gheenoe but it also can handle the sea (and I can move around the boat). I stay dry and don't feel like I am throwing the dice to go fish the flats. The Honda 40, 4-stroke sips gas and runs quiet. It tows easily with my 4 cyl Toyota.

I picked it up at Three Rivers Marine in Crystal River. I checked out the dealer in Amelia Island and didn't want to do business there. Their website made it seem like they had a huge inventory when in fact they only had one 18' skiff.
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

I poled it into that shallow cove over by turkey point (on the marine lab side) with my 16' piece of bamboo.
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

Very nice boat, I will be getting one very soon. That is excactly what I have been looking for. Nice job on the purchase bro you done good! :thumbup: :beer:
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Nice looking boat. I bet it is a big change from your Ghenee.
Yours in the South
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Many CONGRATS on the Panga! :smt023 Going on year 3 with mine and appreciate it even more today than the day I got it. I'm operating quite a bit heavier than you (22' with T-top) and gave up a few inches in the shallows to get further out and touch them groupa. This said, fellow board member Sharkman has an 18' skiff too and it sure is a sweet shallow ride, and I think you two may have what really is one of the very best rigs for the relatively shallow Big Bend area, especially in light of the current gas prices... On nice days he runs out to close reefs and has pulled in some keeper grouper, too, so when the weather cooperates I hope you get the chance to see how truly versatile the Pangas are!

Can't speak to the hydrofoil, but would encourage you to consider trim tabs after testing the hydrofoil if you find any remaining issues with the boat holding a level bow. I use mine EVERY trip out, not only to level the ride but also to help adjust for high/deeper attack on the chop depending on the wave action of the day. The hydrofoil sure will be the lower cost option to test first, but if money isn't too much of an issue, I can't say enough how much I like the tabs.

Many congrats again :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

My Panga skiff was the first center console (I think) for the skiff version. It has a 50 HP Yamaha 4-stroke on it, front deck with storage hatch, and it is pretty sweet.

I did have problems at first with the trailer damaging the bottom of my boat but Panga Marine since fixed that and it has been good to since.

I have had it in about 8 inches of water for redfish and 15 miles out for grouper. I love the versatility.