Help...West Bay..........Destin Question..

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Help...West Bay..........Destin Question..

Post by fishfeeder »

I am taking the family......the entire family (Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles :smt073 ) to Blue Mountain Beach in May. I plan to spend as much time on the water as humanly possible.

Can anyone give me some pointers on where to fish inshore??
Last edited by fishfeeder on May 14th, 2008, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you release them they will grow!!!!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Help...Blue Mountain Beach..........Destin Question..

Post by Jumptrout51 »

All you have there is surf fishing, unless you take a boat and pull to PC or Choctaw Bay.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

JT51
I will be taking my flats boat....any particular areas on Choctaw? or is PC (West Bay) a better area for reds?

Thanks
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

If it's good weather you can run the beaches for Mr. Brown suit, kings, Big Jacks and maybe Tarpon There are several arti reefs within a mile or three of shore down that way and around Sea Side/Phillips inlet. you'll find 100'+ less than a mile or two off the beach. I know it's not red fishing but if the weathers nice why not. There is a fly/tackle shop over @ watercolor that may give you some hints if you buy something from them. (Shallow Water Expeditions)
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

fishfeeder wrote:JT51
I will be taking my flats boat....any particular areas on Choctaw? or is PC (West Bay) a better area for reds?

Thanks
Up where the river comes into the bay. Actually most anywhere in the bay near shore. There are several boat ramps on the causeway.
You can put in at the bridge at Destin also and come around into the bay. A long drive then a long boat ride.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

I have had much better luck in West Bay, however, that aint say'n much. I've never had good luck in Choctaw. Bay, though I know that people fish under the bridge in Destin for them "Big Ass Reds". I managed to catch a few reds in West Bay last summer. It was my first time fishing there. I am planning to do more fishing there this year. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I'd leave the boat at home and rent a good sit-on kayak (or 2) to fish the gulf. The inshore just isn't worth the effort. You'd get a lot more time and fun and fish on the water by kayak. Topwater spanish should be easy pickins and with some decent time committed a Cobia is likely. Pompano is the most sought after choice but it's not the fish to hang your week of fishing on. Time the tides and they're really worth an hour a day though. The hour around sundown in the surf is an excellent and very predictable feed thats' worth getting to as much as possible for reds and other spp. Also, the jetties in Destin are great but you do not need a boat. Walk it.
FYI, I lived and fished at Blue Mountain for about 10 years.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

Thanks for the info....
7M

Post by 7M »

1. West Bay. Ramp under the bridge (South side) of Hwy 79 bridge. West Bay has beau coup reds. I almost always catch some in the slot. Big trout too. Nice grass flats.

2. Choctawhatchee Bay. Near Blue Mountain is Hog Town Bayou. Launch on Hwy 393 and fish the grass flats. Point Washington. Lauch at the end of the road. After launching bear to the East to the ICW. Hwy 331 Causyway. Numerous launches. If it is rough from an East Wind launch at Black Creek Lodge and work the river mouths.
Geaux Tigahs
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

Thanks........7M
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Littoral wrote:I'd leave the boat at home and rent a good sit-on kayak (or 2) to fish the gulf. .

"""A good sit-on kayak""" .............Take that advice to heart. The sit in types arent any fun at all,(especially not on concrete floors), trust me on this one!!
:wink:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
7M

Post by 7M »

A couple of other tips fishfeeder. Good tides at West Bay. Fish the incoming. Check your tides for the week. Choctawhatchee Bay is different animal. Wimply tides sometimes and the winds can do crazy things to what you might have thought was going to be a high tide. Also, get a Hot Spots map. They have them at Bass Pro in Destin if you can't get one over your way. Geaux Fish!
Geaux Tigahs
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

Thanks again 7M ( not that i'm an expert but if you ever need any info for the St Marks, Lanark, ECT areas let me know)
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

Ok I am headed over to Destin Friday................Any last minute advice would be muuuchooo graciiiiiiiiacccca!!

As always ......I will post a very detailed report....
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Alaqua creek, The grass flat between Joe's Bayou and the bridge, between crab Island( really just a sand bar) and the Coast Guard station( just North of the 98 bridge). Santa Rosa around Fort Walton and Mary Ester.

good luck
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image