Jacksonville FL 05/14-15/08 w/ Captain Ron Schurr

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

Jacksonville FL 05/14-15/08 w/ Captain Ron Schurr

Post by Chalk »

I got an invite from bigbendfishing.net headmaster (Tom Keels) to go fishing with Capt Ron Schurr from http://www.fishingnorthflorida.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Jacksonville, FL. A time and date was made and a plan was set in motion.

Day 1 – The Trip over: Left the Redneck Riviera and headed to Tallahassee to pick up Tom. Birddog meet up with me at Tom’s to give me a lil spending money. We chit chatted for a few moments then loaded our gear and headed east.

Arrived in Jacksonville around 3:00 and checked into the Hampton. Capt. Ron called and we meet him at his house, which was right around the corner. We headed to the ramp for an afternoon assault on the Jacksonville estuary.

Wind was blowing like I had the fly rod in the boat, but I didn’t. First stop resulted in some really fat trout. Tom caught several nice trout, as well Ron, I was being the gracious guest and letting them get some before I stepped up to the plate.

Tom with a nice trout and nice visor

Tom with another nice trout and visor

Tom with another nice trout

I finally decided to dangle my pinky in the water and enticed a nice trout to bite…look at the gut on that fish

Captain Ron got into the action with a nice football shaped trout

Tom catches another solid Jacksonville trout

The “Release”

We moved to a few other spots picking up a fish or two along the way. Capt Ron showed us around the area. We fished to dusk and into the night, finally calling it quits about 9:30 or so.

After loading the boat, Captain Ron recommended Mudville Grille in Jacksonville for a nice cool adult beverage and a bite to eat. I had a Patty Melt and a Yuengling on draft, man that was some awesome food. If you’re in Jacksonville you need to check out Mudville good food and great atmosphere. Tell them that Capt Ron Schurr sent you and ask Heather Isbell for some good fishing spots.

Day 2 – Gold Spoons Revenge: We met Captain Ron at the ramp at 0700 for another blitzkrieg on the salt marshes surrounding Jacksonville. Today’s foe was the willy redfish and anything else that wanted to bite.

First spot we pulled up on I pulled out my trusty piece of flat metal with a hook. Captain Ron gave me the stink eye, telling me I had to “Gulp’m to get’m here in Jacksonville.” I told him to sit back and watch…five or so casts into the morning, the line goes taught and the ever so familiar feeling of dead weight and then the head shake. I just smiled as Capt Ron netted the first red of the day.

Captain Ron looks at me and he says, “I hate you and your gold spoon.” We all bust out into laughter. I have been telling Captain Ron about the spoon for two years now. He says he can’t ever get them to bite the spoon, I told him he needs to believe. No sooner than I had caught the first red, I lock into another short red on the spoon, all Ron would do was chuckle. I told him it’s so easy a caveman could do it.

We ran through some bridges and into a maze of creeks and oyster bars. This place looks so fishy it would take a lifetime to fish all the fishy looking spots. We end up rolling through some creeks looking for some more reds. We fished some awesome looking spots, looking for something to pull our string.

I caught a nice fat trout.

Captain Ron managed a nice trout as well

Tom hooked up with a nice trout on a BiteABait

I took some video of us running through the maze of creeks.

And then this lil guy decided to fly into my line and got all tangled up.

Some more of the bird

We managed to catch the bird and unwrap it and send it away unharmed.

Then I thought I had locked into an oversized red, but it turned out to be a 6 lb flounder

Slippery flat fish was hard to hold

Thanks for the invite Tom; I had a blast look forward to doing it again.

Special thanks to Captain Ron Schurr for being a great sponsor to the website. I got to know Ron about two years ago. We talked on the phone a year before we ever met. I have fished with him twice and showed him how the gold spoon works, hopefully he will come around. :lol:

If you ever get over towards Jacksonville and want to catch some fish be sure to look up Capt. Ron Schurr (http://www.fishingnorthflorida.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). He will show you a good time no doubt about it.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Jacksonville FL 05/14-15/08 w/ Captain Ron Schurr

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Sounds like a good trip. Glad you guys had fun.
You guys fished today and tomorrow?
Jacksonville has a strange time frame.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Sweet trip. That was a pretty abrupt stop when ya'll were running the creek. :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

looks like fun fellas. that east coast fish'n is a little dif. ain't it.
his boat sure does have good breaks.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

birddog wrote:Sweet trip. That was a pretty abrupt stop when ya'll were running the creek. :lol:

We deployed the sand brakes and stopped on a dime. That was "interesting". As Maxwell Smart says..."Missed it byyyyyyyyy that much."

I had fun man. Thanks to Capt. Ron for putting us on some fish in some tough conditions. Everyone should fish over there with him, or at least take an ECO-TOUR. :-D :-D

BTW a 17 inch trout from over there weighs every bit of 2 pounds. They will kick a 20" fishes azz over here.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Great report, Chalk. :thumbup: I grew up in that area, and sure do miss those big east coast flatties. I never threw a spoon until I started fishing over here. :-D
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Wow, those are some great looking fish! The trout look real healthy, did you notice they don't have as many spots as our gulf trout?
Yours in the South
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Nice trip! Gold spoon is the ticket! 24 reds in 2 days for us last week on the spoon is proof!
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Great trip guys! Potbelly trout :o . Need to teach Chalk how to hold a bird...he knows how to flip one.
bman

Post by bman »

No doubt that was a fun trip- and Chalk that is a stud flounder!!
Thanks Capt Ron for being a sponsor
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

Awsome!!!
If you release them they will grow!!!!
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

Nice road trip fellas. :thumbup:
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

I sure do miss the East coast when it comes to flounder, nice fish! :thumbup: :beer:
Reel Cowgirl
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowgirl »

Great trip, good fish, I'm jelous! Got to love the east coast. :-D I was going to go to St. Auggie and fish with Dad and Lil Bro again this weekend since RCB is in VA but I am at home sick and miserable. :( But plan to be better and fish memorial day weekend. :thumbup:
"When it comes to love there's only one thing you can trust, it's not your friends, it's not your head, it's that little voice inside your clam burger!"

Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Great trip fella. :beer:
"Plan for the worst."