When to use Fuel Stabilizer?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

When to use Fuel Stabilizer?

Post by Sir reel »

Here's a question that I've been meaning to ask on this forum. I'd like to hear your thoughts on when to use a Fuel Stabilizer. If you know (in advance) that your rig will be out of service for a while, what length of time would be the deciding factor to put in the stabilizer? 1 month.... 3 months... shorter/longer... etc. I don't know if it makes any difference but I have a stainless tank with a water separator/filter as part of my fuel system.

Second part.....you thought you would be going out before now but circumstances change and it looks like it will be longer than you thought before you get out again.... can you simply add the stabilizer to the fuel and expect it to be effective? (ie: does it have to go in at fillup in order to achieve a mix?) Thanks.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

1 month.. After that long fuel starts to break down. So the experts say. On the second question, as long as a month has not gone buy why not. If you did not fill up after last trip, go fill up, run, add stabil.