Like Oysters, Shrimp or Fish?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

Re: Like Oysters, Shrimp or Fish?

Post by Littoral »

All this fussin when summer should be for fishing and baseball.
Oops, sorry about that. Not everybody is still playing baseball. :smt044
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Baseball today 14-4 Seminoles!
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Littoral wrote:All this fussin when summer should be for fishing and baseball.
Oops, sorry about that. Not everybody is still playing baseball. :smt044
All this fussing is due to the heat. Makes you do crazy stuff. :smt062
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

Unfortunately we're still playing BB. Had a tourny this weekend in Cordele, Ga. It's taking up alot of my fishing time - but it's for the kids so what to do. We do have an Icky trip planned for the 21st. Can't wait!!!!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Fo Real Baseball.....GA. Bulldawgs 17 NC State 8. DAWGS scored 9 runs in the 1st inning...thats what I'm talkin about :thumbup: :-D

BTW, I don't see no gator scores..whuts up wid dat :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

MudDucker wrote:Fo Real Baseball.....GA. Bulldawgs 17 NC State 8. DAWGS scored 9 runs in the 1st inning...thats what I'm talkin about :thumbup: :-D

BTW, I don't see no gator scores..whuts up wid dat :smt005
GO DAWGS!!
Team Jolly Mon
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/secretary/ne ... 602_03.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/secretary/ne ... 602_02.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/drought/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go Noles!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

On a lighter side....since college football bowl games do so well....how's about we create an annual BIGBENDFISHING.NET GEORGIA-FLORIDA WATER BOWL? :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

There is an article in todays Daily Disappointment that mentions a USGS study and the decline in Tupelo Tree populations in the Apalach Floodplain.

Here is a link to the study:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2008/5062/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read the Summary on page 52-54. There are some implications as to future estuarine productivity.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

boggob wrote:There is an article in todays Daily Disappointment that mentions a USGS study and the decline in Tupelo Tree populations in the Apalach Floodplain.

Here is a link to the study:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2008/5062/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read the Summary on page 52-54. There are some implications as to future estuarine productivity.
Short term studies such as this one are meaningless. Show me the 200 or 300 year history and trends.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Just heard on the news today...EPA fines Panama City for Raw sewage spill that happend in March in Saint Andrews Bay. Something a little over 2 million gal. in North Bay. Yep, Florida takes care of its resources. I know it's not the ACF basin but still....just saying! Not a word if the state DEP handed down any fines.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

MudDucker wrote:
Short term studies such as this one are meaningless. Show me the 200 or 300 year history and trends.
So basically, what your saying is that all studies are meaningless.

Maybe I should just bury my head in the sand and keep my fingers crossed, like everyone else.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

boggob wrote:
MudDucker wrote:
So basically, what your saying is that all studies are meaningless.

Maybe I should just bury my head in the sand and keep my fingers crossed, like everyone else.
Don't want to sound like a smart azz, but I didn't say all studies are meaningless. What I said is that you have to look at long term trends to see if the present conditions are something new due to the dams or if the area has had the same problem in the past prior to the dams. Alarmist point to something being different in a 10 year period. Scientist look at something that is a unique event in 100 years or more.
GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Post by GAJOEY »

http://tampabay.com/news/environment/wa ... 418793.ece

This is interesting..let a company drain the state of Flroida's resources for a $230 permit.I got my apprentice cave training at Madison Blue Springs when I had the time to dive.. Now the kids are getting older I have been thinking about breaking out my gear and picking up where I left off on my full cave diving certification. I had heard the state had taken the springs over a few years ago so I did a search on Anna Bruic who owned and operated Madison Blue Springs with her son Mike just to see what they were up to . I was kind of shocked to learn that the state of Fl was issuing permits like this when they were in a major water war with Ga and AL, not to mention a serious drought..
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

That permit was all about needed jobs for Madison. However, it does point out that Florida speaks out of both sides of its mouth on the water issue.

Cave diving :o When I was in high school and early years of college, I dove in spring caves all over Florida and Georgia, including one outside of Cairo in the Devil's Hopper where I had to tie my gear to my leg to drag it though belly slides to get to. Our group never had a serious problem that we hadn't thought through a head of time and prepared redundancy for. However, I got a call from a friend of mine who dove with another group asking if I would go with him to do a body recovery in this Madison Spring that we referred to as "Blue Springs". When I asked him who it was he told me it was Holsendorf that was missing. Holsendorf was then premier cave diver in this part of the world. I knew him well. He was an expert and he was OBSESSIVE about safety. I told him if Hose hadn't made it back out, I sure wasn't going where we were likely to find him. I hung up and called a navy diver I knew was home on leave. Although I had great equipment, he had much better extended time equipment. I picked him and carried him to the spring. He and my friend went down together. They found Hose within 150 yards of the mouth of the spring. His light was on the bottom with dead batteries. There were clawing marks all over the ceiling of the cave in the room they found Hose in. It was determined from his records and autopsy that he had dove too many times over too short of a period and had died of Nitrogen poisoning. Sad thing is that he knew better and had it all documented in his records.

I figured if Hose's number could come up as obsessive as he was, mine couldn't be far behind. I began selling my cave gear the next weekend and I haven't been back in a cave since. That was about 30 years ago.

Please exercise OBSESSIVE caution and never cave dive alone. Sorry for the rant, but that event was a life altering event for me. :smt012