Transom Repair??

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Saltwater4me

Transom Repair??

Post by Saltwater4me »

Any suggestions for transom Repair on a 19" skiff?? Boat has a 115 Yamaha and the transom apprears to be cracked. I do not know if this is something that could be reinforced or needs to be replaced, but I would like an honest opinion if you know of a trusted repair shop.

Any advice, besides parking the boat, would be appreciated :thumbup:
"Support the country you live in OR live in the country you support!!!!"
One Keeper

Re: Transom Repair??

Post by One Keeper »

Alum. or Glass boat? Waviel Porter @ Porter Marine welded my transom brackets on One Keeper and they are stronger then ever. But I'm not sure if he does glass work, but it's worth a call because he does great work at a great price. Call Porter Marine @ 850-421-1490 he is located in Woodville on Elgin Road. :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Define cracked, please
Saltwater4me

Post by Saltwater4me »

Thanks for the advice and PM's about repair.

One Keepr - It is glass

Chalk - the transom is going "soft" on one side. I noticed it when the motor was running rough and the whole transom was shaking. When the motor is trimmed up you can push the foot up and move the transom back and forth 2 or 3 inches. There is no outward "crack" that is obvious just by looking, but most of the play is on just one side making me think the inner support is cracked, rotten or compromised in some way. It is about 10 year old Polar skiff.

Thanks again for all of the advice. This is a freind's boat and I think he has a couple of places to call and get a good opinion.
"Support the country you live in OR live in the country you support!!!!"
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Sounds like the foam or wood core is water logged and or rotten.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

All transoms move to a degree, but if it's moving 2-3 inches I would cease all boating activity until you can have someone look at it.