Longer rods

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Longer rods

Post by Redbelly »

Do they equal longer cast? Within a person's skill range, will a longer rod help get it out there farther?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Re: Longer rods

Post by CairoTrout »

Yes!
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Rod length combined with appropriate tip speed and proper lure weight rating being coupled with the weight of the lure being cast. ie.... You wouldnt want to try to cast a 1/4 oz jig head with a rod rated 5/8 oz - 1 1/4 oz. I keep six carrot stix on my boat. My most versatile rod is a 7'6" medium action, fast tip, 1/4 oz - 3/4 oz weight rating. However, I use a 7 ft slow tip medium heavy for my stick baits. Being 6 ft tall, this rod gives me the correct length rod that doesnt have the whip factor of a fast tip when trying to walk the dog with my stick baits. This doesnt make sense to alot of people but the stiffer tip allows me to work the plug slower while not changing my cadence or wrist action. The seven foot rod with a fast tip would probably allow me to cast 5-7 yards farther( Ive tested it) but my plugs work better with the slower tip. My advice is to try out a few different lengths that you think you can be comfortable with. I love the castability and action of the long rods but one handed casting is almost impossible. Good luck!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

BB, thanks, but this is about flyrods, this is the flyfishing section.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

No...longer rod allows you to move more line out side the rod tip aka spey casting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYMPnBTPhPk[/video]
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Damn, my tendinitis is aching just watching that vid. :smt009
GULP! free since 1970.
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Redbelly wrote:BB, thanks, but this is about flyrods, this is the flyfishing section.
Note taken :-D and just realized who the post was from. I didnt notice which discussion forum it was either. Im sure you know all about what I was talking about. Guess I was a little tired from fishing all weekend! :thumbup: :beer:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Wow chalk....that IS a long rod. There's not a bluegill around that can woop that! :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Chalk wrote:No...longer rod allows you to move more line out side the rod tip aka spey casting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYMPnBTPhPk[/video]
:o :o
That's something.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
MTeal
Site Sponsor

Post by MTeal »

Yes, a longer fly rod can be used to make longer casts. Typically takes a more skilled caster to throw a longer rod, i.e. 9 ft versus 10ft. The best benefit for longer rod in saltwater is wade fishing, gets the line up off the water easier. Longer rod freshwater helps with mending. If you are buying a fly rod, go with 9 foot for saltwater.
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

Funny story about Spey casting rods..... Not to derail the thread or anything, but I was splitting a trip with a local guide in Panama City. He had booked me with a Dr. from Mississippi that had all the toys.... He wanted to try one of those rods because his local shop gave him a demo..... First thing the guide said was "don't beat the water".... well.... guess what.... He beat the hello out of the water.... It was a funny site... guide was PO'd... and he/we didn't catch any fish while he was trying to master the rod..... We stopped at one of our spots and the spey rod was laying there and the good Dr. asked the guide where would be a good place for the rod between runs so it wouldn't be in the way..... Guide said the best place would be overboard.... :-D The Dr. wasn't too happy to say the least.....
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

KTH> BWAAAAAAA
Teal? where you been son?
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
MTeal
Site Sponsor

Post by MTeal »

I'm out there Mills.
Supa Fly

Post by Supa Fly »

Good to hear from you Mikey. Heard you jumped a couple of fish this past week. :thumbup: :thumbup:
MTeal
Site Sponsor

Post by MTeal »

Hey Bernie, yea, Charles and I are going to try it next week if you wanna go.