Wonders of Nature - Mystery Creatures!

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Wonders of Nature - Mystery Creatures!

Post by big bend gyrene »

Had a BIG old water oak fall to the ground this past month, and as with MOST big old water oaks it was almost completely rotten inside. The hollow section of the tree had been serving as home for many creatures -- more roaches than I would care to count -- but one object in particular caught my attention/interest. While chopping up the bad wood and burning it, I saw this "leaf tube" fall from the wood rot to the ground...

Carefully tore the "leaf tube" apart and found that the tube protected a number of bullet shaped capsules...

Tore open one of the bullet capsules, and found it did house a larva as well as some type of waxy food source..

Some animal, guessing almost certainly insect, went to GREAT trouble to cut, carry, build such a perfectly fashioned leaf tube. Sharing for two reasons... one just so all other members can enjoy, and the second reason being that I hope someone will either know what bug did the work or will be able to forward on to someone off the board who can solve the mystery!

Actually have a second mystery creature, though I at least recognize this one as a caterpillar, though I have NO idea what specific type of caterpillar. First time I saw him out of the corner of my eye, I almost thought it was some bizarre mutant baby snake. Only took about a second to focus on in and see it was a caterpillar but in my 40 years, never seen this particular one before (growing up in SC mainly saw catalpa sphinx, tobacco hornworms feasting on tomatoes, etc...).

Sure will be excited if someone can help provide a true identity on either of these wondrous creatures!
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Re: Wonders of Nature - Mystery Creatures!

Post by Barhopr »

have no idea on either, but that caterpillar is awesome
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Pretty sure your caterpillar is a sphinx moth caterpillar.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

bman

Post by bman »

Both of those are cool... that caterpillar looks so funny it almost looks fake!

The cocoon is from a leaf cutter bee nest
here is one link...http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/INSECT/05576.html
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
big bend gyrene

bman and tom, many thanks for the feedback.

Bman, I'm 100% confident in the leaf cutter bee identification. Found another site that shows good pics of the leaf tube, leaving zero doubt...

http://www.insectpix.net/Leafcutter_bees.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tom, did google image search on sphinx moth caterpillars and see pretty wide variety of different looking caterpillars but none with the mottled non-uniform brown/tan camo streaks or any with the helmet looking shielded head. See many sphinx caterpillars with large heads and psuedo eyes but they appear to have more rounded heads and uniform color patterns. Again, not doubting that it falls in the sphinx moth family as it looks like there is much variation but do hope to find a more definitive match. Again, though, MUCH appreciate the speedy responses :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Like the old saying goes, learn something new everyday -- much appreciate you both leading me down the road of wisdom :D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Here is a site with numerous pictures of caterpillars some of which mimic snakes. http://whatsthatbug.com/caterpillar_4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cool pictures!
CatchYourLimit

Post by CatchYourLimit »

I found'em!
big bend gyrene

CatchYourLimit, would pick on you for having too much time on your hands, but guess my posting 8 pics of bugs in my yard sets me up for the same ribbing :smt116 :wink:
Algaegator

Post by Algaegator »

I had a bug ID question once. I emailed a picture to my local county extension agent, and he quickly ID'd the critter. That is one awesome looking cattapi-caterpil-cattap-worm!
On On
big bend gyrene

Well, a year passed and the same kumquat tree that had the single mystery caterpillar on it last year had about 15 this year. Tom, I was pretty sure you were right on the sphinx moth but am now 100% confident what it is, and it's actually a Giant Swallowtail butterfly. :thumbup: I made the confirmation by googling "caterpillar" and "kumquat", and quickly was led to several sites that spoke to the Giant Swallowtail dining primarily on citrus.

http://www.butterflygardeningandconserv ... /giant.php

Tell you what, they can strip a kumquat tree of leaves in NO TIME flat... anyway, another mystery solved :-)
bman

Post by bman »

This is why I love this site -Very cool!
Tomorrow AM I'm going out to make sure none of them are on my citrus!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I could only identify the black lab in the background. As this weather is gonna suck.
big bend gyrene

jsuber wrote:I could only identify the black lab in the background. As this weather is gonna suck.
Suber, you need to guess again :wink: :-D
Sam.jpg
Sam.jpg (60.58 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
Sam 2.jpg
Sam 2.jpg (46.87 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
Sam 3.jpg
Sam 3.jpg (50.13 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

that is a great dane right ...thinking on breed a great dane and beligum malinois for a big attack dog
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

I wonder if you were to palmer a hackle feather around that big worm and added a couple feathers to his tail if a big ol Red Fish would hit it.. :smt017
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem