Lower Unit's Sick

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Just found this....http://www.partsmarine.com/xcart/custom ... hp?cat=300

Lower Unit seal kit $20.00
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

If all it needs is a seal kit, I'd be surprised. The oil was not emulsified with the water. First pure clean water ran out, then black tar. The oil had got so hot, it thickened to tar I guess. Again, never a hint of trouble last time out.
Semper Fi
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

The fact that the oil and water never mixed may be a good sign :D I would put some fresh oil in it and back it down into the water at the ramp and run it in forward and reverse for 5 minutes or so, then check it out :o :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

That's the plan right now wevans. Gonna flush it out a few times first. Wierd how the oil and water didn't mix. I've had lower units get water in them before this one, and it always emulsified. :o
Semper Fi
dowawoo

oil ???

Post by dowawoo »

You might just have a problem with fuel pooling in the crankcase from idling when flushing, happens when the motor is tilted to far up when flushing , check the oil in the foot..happend to me once, thought the foot was gone, not so, been almost two years, I change the gear lube every year...
Don
dowawoo
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I'm fairly sure it's a shaft seal leaking. My shaft is bent slightly. I think the seal got damaged. Boat mechanic brought it to my attention two months ago but said it was not enough to worry about right away. Do ya'll suppose I should start to worry about it now? :roll:
Thanks for everyones suggestions. :thumbup:
Semper Fi
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

CS, I had to replace the lower unit on my 200 last year. You should start worrying now. :o
What was I supposed to do today?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Jerry's Marine in Panacea can get the shaft straitened and install all new seals for around $300 :thumbup: Had it done on my 50 Merc when I had the ol Bass Tracker "been about 3 years, so may be a little more now" :D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Flint River Marine in Albany said they could get it straightend. Won't know how much til they get into it, for sure.
Semper Fi