just need a little input

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

KYFRED

just need a little input

Post by KYFRED »

I am looking for a litte advice. I have an opportunity to purchase either an OK Drifter or Scrabler XT for about $275. I have been thinking about taking teh kayak plundge. I frequent SGI 2-4 times per year and think it would be ideal on teh beach and in teh bay. I have read a lot of these posts and it seems like a great time. I know these are kayaks are entry level, but being so far away from teh cosat and limited access in KY, I did not want to make a big splash. ANy advice on whether or not this is a fair price? Ease of paddle? I am a rather large guy and was looking for a little room if possible. How much gear is carried by weight?

Thanks in advance

KYFRED
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: just need a little input

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY KYFRED, I DO NOT HAVE EXPERIENCE IN THE YAK EXCEPT TO PADDLE ONE AROUND THE DOCK AT THE LAKE. MY SON HAS THE DRIFTER, HE WEIGHS ABOUT 250# AND HE SEEMS TO MANAGE O.K., OF COURSE WE ARE USING IT IN OUR LAKE WHICH IS FINE UNTIL THE WEEK-ENDS THEN WE HAVE TO COMPETE WITH ABOUT 100 SKIIERS, WATER JETS AND A BUNCH OF DRUNK PEOPLE. WE DO NOT USE THE YAK ON THE WEEK-ENDS.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :smt006 :smt006 :thumbup: :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

My dad always told me that you get what you pay for and you need to get the big dog if you want to do it right. But, as a kayak fisherman, I disagree with pop. I talked him into buying a new Ocean Kayak from Journey's on SGI and he has enjoyed it even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. It has no rod holders, but it does the trick on the beach and the bay.

I don't think you need to buy a Hobie Revolution to know whether you like kayak fishing or not. My advice is to go for it. If you like it, upgrade or add accesories to your yak. If you don't, you have toy to play with for $275.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

WaltDawg wrote:My dad always told me that you get what you pay for and you need to get the big dog if you want to do it right. But, as a kayak fisherman, I disagree with pop. I talked him into buying a new Ocean Kayak from Journey's on SGI and he has enjoyed it even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. It has no rod holders, but it does the trick on the beach and the bay.

I don't think you need to buy a Hobie Revolution to know whether you like kayak fishing or not. My advice is to go for it. If you like it, upgrade or add accesories to your yak. If you don't, you have toy to play with for $275.
As spoken by our resident expert from the August issue of Florida Sportsman! :D I would bank on his advice!
Team Jolly Mon
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Scrambler XT

Drifter

I would get the drifter..one it looks better to me...has a molded hatch and deep rear storage and it appears to have an area for a rudder molded in
KYFRED

Post by KYFRED »

WaltDawg:

Do you know if Journey's has a yearend sale on their used equipment? I am going to be down for a week or so in October and, if this does not pan out, I may look then
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

Yes, they sell used boats in late summer. They also used to be Jeannies's Journeys, so I'm not sure if they have new ownership and changed the policy. You should be able to call them to see if they still do. I think they got rid of a few angling kayaks last year. They have a website, so its easy to get their contact info.

Thanks FRP, I have a buddy in Albany who loves catfishing on the Flint. Feel free to give away your good spots.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

THe Drifter is an excellent kayak and I have many friends in Virginia that like them. I like the Wilderness and Perception boats but the drifter is a very durable boat but make sure your comfortable in it first.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

The Drifter is the choice betwen the two. It's good for big people.
The blue one to the left here is my Difter.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.