Fishing in general

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WPW

Fishing in general

Post by WPW »

I'm going to be camping at St. George this weekend, have kayak and plan to do some fishing. Anyone have comments on fishing there. :D
PerryFisherMan
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing in general

Post by PerryFisherMan »

The water at St. George on the bay side (when I have been there) is not as clear as it is at Keaton Beach, so I've primarily used lures that make noise somehow. We have fished Catch2000 -or- a Gulp under a cajun thunder -or- noisy topwater. Fish structure (the edge / over grass / oyster bars). Best time is early in the morning or late at night (not sure why - but the pattern holds year after year). I've never caught much big trout, but more redfish.

I'm not taking my big boat to SGI anymore, just my kayaks. I have just as much fun and productivity using them.

I usually rent a house before you get to the park, but if I was in the park, I'd put in at the second ramp and go right. Could be wrong..I've never fished there personally, but saw quit a few locals with small boats going that way (for redfish). I suppose they are everywhere anyhow....
KYFRED

Post by KYFRED »

When you talk about going right out of the second boat ramp. are you talking about staying in the cove or paddling out around the point?
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Shrimp was the ticket for me last year. Find where the water is running around an object bar or whatever get on the side that is getting hit with the current.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Another excellent spot. As you get off the bridge onto St. George there is a cove on your right. Launch there and paddle over towards the bank where you will see a bunch of Pine trees. That whole are holds large trout and reds year round. Throw the bite-a-bait in gold, or a popping cork with a jig about 2 ft below the cork. Hold on. Last time I was there we wade fished it and had 11 reds within an hour, all 24" plus..... shhhhhhhhh don't tell anybody. :D :thumbup: :thumbup:
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

oh, and a 26" trout that probably weighed 5.5 to 6lbs.....
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

captkeyser wrote:oh, and a 26" trout that probably weighed 5.5 to 6lbs.....
PppFffTtt!!!
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

wwooooo boy.
i know where im going this weekend. :smt005
PerryFisherMan
Site Sponsor

Post by PerryFisherMan »

KYFRED,
When I talk about the second ramp, I mean to stay in the cove for kayaking. I'd rather not go around the point and get some of the unhindered wind that can come up quickly. The cove offers a little more protection.
KYFRED

Post by KYFRED »

Got it. I am going down for 10 days the second week in october. If anyone want to show a newbie teh ropes, let me know. I will also have my father with me. CaptKeyser, when you come onto the island, teh cove to rhe right of teh bridge or left? I have wade fished teh cove to teh east (left) but not right.
Supa Fly

Post by Supa Fly »

Launch your kayak at the youth camp boat ramp in the state park, and fish the oyster bars all around that area. Good for reds and trout alike, especially around the shoreline of Goose island (the island directly out from the ramp) if it's high tide.