The Sport of Kayak Fishing

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Charles
Site Sponsor

The Sport of Kayak Fishing

Post by Charles »

I was going to throw some stuff in here about canoes; and SOT kayaks; and canoe vs. SOT kayak, but all that's been covered somewhere else.

The real sport of kayak fishing comes when you drop a 26" red in your lap. Things can get pretty sporty when said red is still green because you horsed it to keep it out of the oysterbar; and in it's mouth it has a 7M MirrOlure with three sets of treble hooks, one hook in the fish, one set firmly secured to the landing net and the fish flinging all three sets around your bare legs. Deal with this without knocking your drink over, without knocking your GPS or rod in the drink, without getting hooked, and without loosing the fish. The cockpit gets a lot smaller.

When you can do this; you have achieved the enlightenment of Zen. I'm not there.
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Re: The Sport of Kayak Fishing

Post by Nathan »

I learned early on that lures with three treble hooks don't necessarily need three treble hooks. Leave the rear and center hooks on and take off the rest. You'll land just as many fish, but will have fewer hooks dancing around in the cockpit.

Nathan
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

There is more to it than you think. That's why I leave it to pros like Jeff Suber! :wink:
Team Jolly Mon
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

The imagery is just too funny! Good one.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Hey Charles, if said redfish was still green when ending up on your lap, then you have missed out on the true zen enlightenment of kayak fishing----the sleigh ride 8)
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Wait til you have kicked it into the boat, and the hooks drive up into your shin, and the fish gets away, or you catch a flounder bigger than your net, and you de-hook it on the fourth try to get it in your net. I call that last weekend.
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

Talltails wrote:Hey Charles, if said redfish was still green when ending up on your lap, then you have missed out on the true zen enlightenment of kayak fishing----the sleigh ride 8)

What TT said :thumbup: :thumbup: A summer sleigh ride equals big fun!
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
Reel Stoked

Post by Reel Stoked »

I still have a pull in a pair of pants where a treble hook almost went into the boys!! A trout dropped onto my lap while trying to get the hooks out and I couldn't decide if I wanted a hook in my hand or leg and then he bounced on top of the boys and the decision came pretty quick, all the while my friend is yelling at me "what the f---! are you doing. I finally was able to brag him by the gills and get the hook out with no harm done. I no longer bring any fish in the yak until the hooks are out!!
Supa Fly

Post by Supa Fly »

Boca Grips can be worth their weight in gold in a kayak. Of course, they almost cost their weight in gold, so they should be.