VHF mount

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dbplug
Site Sponsor

VHF mount

Post by dbplug »

Folks, Bought a Standard Horizon Intrepid. Need some advice on type of antenna: Length, gain, composition, mount, placement. Is the coax already run, if not, do you know of any challenges? On a KW 1720.

Thanks in advance.
for petes sake
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Get that Digital 4 foot one that Stockwell posted the other day. It should be all you ever need. You'll need a ratchet rail mount for it. Mount it on the hand rail on the console. The hardest part is getting the connector on the coax. I think digital comes with the solderless one, if not get one.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

db, I bought the 528 VW Digital
4 foot long but has a 4.5db gain.

Comes with enough cable to reach Cuba. Mounted mine on the side of the console. I guess the higher you mount the better it works of course. No problem getting the connector on the coax. Comes with 2 adapters including a single pin connector. It's a pain screwing the antenna on the base with all the cable. If I were to redo it, I'd mount it on the grab rail over the windshield. Had to drill a hole in the console for my cable, because I mounted the radio below the console out of the weather.
Bought mine at Bethel-Marine for $66.95. 1-866-238-435.
Semper Fi
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Just remember, whatever mount you choose, put the antenna on it FIRST.
Tom Keels
Site Founder