Econfina, general info

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ddb

Re: Econfina, general info

Post by ddb »

RF Jim - thanks for the help. We'll be taking it slow, pick and choose a few spots to fish on the way out. We'll let you know how we turn out.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I am hesitant to tell anyone anything about either Econfina or Aucilla ... there have been just a few lower units damaged between these two. If you are lucky, you can follow someone out that knows what they are doing. Stay back far enough to stop if in fact you find out they don't know when their outboard flies up unexpectedly. As the old boy who taught me those places used to say ... Boy there are rocks as big as cars in these rivers.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

MudDucker wrote:... Boy there are rocks as big as cars in these rivers.
....and he meant them ole big azz cars and not subcompacts!

Famous last words....."stay close in my wake...I know this river!"
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Carlabear

Post by Carlabear »

One thing no one has mentioned is there is a large rock in the middle of the river just past the last house so when you go past the no wake zone area headed out, vere to the right side slowly . There was also a dead tree somewhere over there on that side about 8 feet from the bank. Many a foot has been torn off on this rock. :smt010 People think they can go down the middle of the river. It is a great river and much kinder than the aucilla! There are rocks on either side of the river also going out. Be careful.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

RHTFISH wrote:
:lol: :lol:
Team Jolly Mon
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

RHTFISH wrote:
MudDucker wrote:... Boy there are rocks as big as cars in these rivers.
....and he meant them ole big azz cars and not subcompacts!

Yes sir, I've heard those famous words before. Nearly ran over such a captains boat when he banged a rock and went down suddenly off plane in the Steinhatchee River of all places. My famous words are ... Trust, but verify. :smt005 :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
ddb

Post by ddb »

Carlabear wrote:One thing no one has mentioned is there is a large rock in the middle of the river just past the last house so when you go past the no wake zone area headed out, vere to the right side slowly . There was also a dead tree somewhere over there on that side about 8 feet from the bank. Many a foot has been torn off on this rock. :smt010 People think they can go down the middle of the river. It is a great river and much kinder than the aucilla! There are rocks on either side of the river also going out. Be careful.
Now you tell me :-D

Caught that one on the way out. Fortunately we were being pretty cautious. Arrived at 10, water still too low to get my boat in, 20 minutes later started down the river at a snails pace. Too many oyster bars obvious to go any faster. Only picked up two fish, one red in a creek mouth and one trout in the river, but I still consider it a success based on a lack of major incedents. Pretty river, lots of fishable water, just no luck for us today. Water temps had dropped down to 47 but warmed up to 51 in the afternoon. Everything looked completely different with the water up in the afternoon, glad we got a look at it at low, leaves us with more respect for the river.

Thanks again for all the help - that's why I like this board :thumbup:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Keep fishing Econfina. It is one of the last finest fisheries in Florida. No matter where you go...you don't load the boat every time.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
ddb

Post by ddb »

I'll be back, it's too pretty of an area not too. I'll have to be pretty choosie on the tides with my Kenner, but I think next time (winter anyhow) I'll take my Ghenoe. There's lots of spots in the river that must be holding fish. Anyone needs some company some time give me a holler. It's always good to pick up some new skills for when the old ones aren't working.
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

I've been out of that river at least a hundred times and am not confident I'll ever know where all the rocks are. That's why I just idle when the water's low.

Glad you got out there. It's one of the most beautiful places in the state and, like JT says, it is a very fishy place. The Ghenoe is not a bad choice by the way.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

ddb wrote:Anyone needs some company some time give me a holler.
Aren't you in Tifton?
Team Jolly Mon
Dabbler

Post by Dabbler »

Thanks for reports and general info. If we have any luck out of Keaton, I will try to post my first pics.
ddb

Post by ddb »

Aren't you in Tifton?[/quote]

Yes, that's why it makes fishing certain parts of the tide difficult for us.
GoneGator
Site Sponsor

Post by GoneGator »

Don't bother this time of year, no fish there, something about toxic waste discharge.
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

Yeah right. They's fish in them waters for sure.