Program at FSU for Veterans with Disabilities

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Derfish

Program at FSU for Veterans with Disabilities

Post by Derfish »

Dear Forum Members,

I am trying to get the word out to both veterans and potential sponsors about a program I am running at FSU. I know that many members of this forum are veterans and that forum members have supported other veteran causes in the past. Please help me spread the word (see Tallahassee Democrat Article below) around the Big Bend are about what we are trying to do here at FSU. By the way, I have been so busy with trying to get this program off the ground, that I have yet to take out my flats boat this year and have only had my kayak out once. I am hoping to get out over the next few weeks.

Thanks - Randy salute3

As members of the armed services conclude their tours and rejoin civilian life after serving their country, Randy Blass has a business proposition he'd like to make.
A College of Business faculty member at Florida State University, Blass is the newly named director of the Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities, which will take place for the first time in Tallahassee this June.
In short, he's looking for veterans with disabilities who also have business aspirations and could use an intensive training program as a means of getting started.
"It makes perfect sense that FSU host such a program," said Blass. "We have a first-rate entrepreneurship program here in the College of Business."
The idea for a business bootcamp actually originated with Syracuse University, which held its first session last year for 20 veterans with disabilities resulting from military service in Iraq and Afghanistan. This summer, FSU, Texas A&M University and UCLA are working with Syracuse to expand the successful program across the country.
The program brings together world-class faculty, entrepreneurs, disability experts and business professionals to train the veterans in the finer points of small-business ownership. There is a nine-day residency at FSU, online study and 12 months of support from faculty experts. The participants will attend workshops that cover how to write business plans, raise capital, attract customers and develop a marketing strategy.
Blass figures that the program will cost $5,000 for each veteran, including air fare, housing, transportation, all meals, events and hopefully a few outings in the area as a breather from the bootcamp sessions.
Your company can offer in-kind services or you can help sponsor a veteran. Blass says he's figuring on one night, in fact, to have sponsors attend a recognition event with the trainees. He stresses that the bootcamp is funded only with private support.
"We are not looking for any federal money," he added. "We are raising the money the old-fashioned way." He needs enough to cover the cost of an anticipated 30 trainees and some incidental expenses for bringing some of the guest lecturers to town.
With the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, the number of disabled veterans continues to increase. There are now more than 40,000 U.S. soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who were wounded in the war on terror.
Blass says the FSU bootcamp may be a small contribution by comparison, but it's an opportunity to aid these disabled veterans at a pivotal time when they are deciding their future careers. "The main thing is to empower them with knowledge and confidence that they can chart their own destiny," he says.
To apply or to obtain more information, visit http://whitman.syr.edu/ebv or contact Blass at (850) 644-7859. His e-mail address is rblass@cob.fsu.edu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Last edited by Derfish on January 2nd, 2009, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful."
Derfish

Re: Program at FSU for Veterans with Disabilities

Post by Derfish »

Our first year was a great success. Now we are ramping up for another class in June. In these hard economic times am concerened with teh fundraising, but I am not going to quit as it is even more important to take care of our wounded troops when jobs are scarce and times are hard. The Tallahassee Democrat ran a short article on the program last week, so I am hoping it will generate some support
( http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 8812270308 ). Already Goodwill and the new Hotel Duval joined forces to donate $10K and a private foundation from PA has given us $20K. Also many private citizens have donated much smaller amounts, and those are adding up! We essentially have $70K more to go. I spoke recently to a group of severely disabled veterans in Orlando, among this group where young men and women that were blinded, multiple amputees, serious burn victims, and serious brain trauma victims. One of those folks sent me this comment after my presentation :
"Thanks for everything! Your presentation has given me something that I lost four years ago when I sustained severe injuries in Baghdad; HOPE! Thanks again and I looked forward to speaking with you soon and continually.

This is why what we are doing is so important!

Randy salute3
"The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful."
Gabrielle

Post by Gabrielle »

What an excellent program! People who serve our country deserve the utmost of respect. When they have disabilities to contend with, on top of the emotional scars of war, we should do everything possible to help them succeed in their new lives in the future. I look forward to learning more about the program and to seeing how I can help. Thank you! salute2
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Randy, PM sent.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945