Heading to Miami and Keys - Fishing Spots???

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

outdoor7or24

Heading to Miami and Keys - Fishing Spots???

Post by outdoor7or24 »

Hey, I thought I'd ask if anyone here can help me get an idea on where to go fishing in Miami and the keys. I'll be in Miami, but will be there for a week and looking to fish it up as much as I can. I am taking the kayak, but I can also do some wade fishing too.

Any spots you would recommend? Baits or Flys you would say are must have? I can tie up a few patterns before I go if I need to.

Thanks....
Chalk

Re: Heading to Miami and Keys - Fishing Spots???

Post by Chalk »

Alot of places to fish...just go and launch....you can tell where you can pull over and launch. Don't launch from someone's yard though...becareful wading around the bridges, several people drown each year from the current ripping through the bridges. I have fished Sugarloaf and Long Key.

Pretty much all you need to know can be found here - Link
GatorBaiter

Post by GatorBaiter »

Now you are talking my home turf...great fishing down there but what are you looking for in paticular? Snook, red, trout, tarpon? Probably my favorite for Miami proper is Key Biscayne...if you follow 95 till it ends into A1A you can catch a sign for the key and turn left. There are lots of public launches and marinas down there. I always had great luck with the top water - and remember that it has been very warm down there this year. It gets cold enough here for the fish to change their feeding habits...not so much down there...they may switch off if there is a subsatntial cool snap but I dont think they have had one yet. Watch out for the boat traffic in Biscayne Bay if you take the Yak out...I hate to say they aim for you but lets say they have no problem buzzing people at full wake - stay in the mangroves and you wont have any problem.
"People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
Boy...we sure have come a long way since then!
fish on!!
Site Sponsor

Post by fish on!! »

I would take one night and fish from shore under the bridges.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

PM sent
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
outdoor7or24

Post by outdoor7or24 »

GatorBaiter wrote:Now you are talking my home turf...great fishing down there but what are you looking for in paticular? Snook, red, trout, tarpon? Probably my favorite for Miami proper is Key Biscayne...if you follow 95 till it ends into A1A you can catch a sign for the key and turn left. There are lots of public launches and marinas down there. I always had great luck with the top water - and remember that it has been very warm down there this year. It gets cold enough here for the fish to change their feeding habits...not so much down there...they may switch off if there is a subsatntial cool snap but I dont think they have had one yet. Watch out for the boat traffic in Biscayne Bay if you take the Yak out...I hate to say they aim for you but lets say they have no problem buzzing people at full wake - stay in the mangroves and you wont have any problem.
I am looking for Snook, red, trout, tarpon, and etc... haha I just want to make sure everyone has fun.
I'll have the topwater plugs with me, and some soft plastics as well.

Will 25 lb leaders be good enough?