Boat Advice

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RC
Site Sponsor

Boat Advice

Post by RC »

I am starting my search for a new boat. I now have a flats boat set up for poling the flats, 16' with a 25hp. It worked well in the Indian River and mosquito lagoon but what I have found is, in this area I fish deeper and more open water. Don't pole much. I am looking for somthing more suited to this area. I like to drift the flats for trout, fish out of Indian Pass for tarpon, troll Mexico Beach for kings, and I want to try out some of the grouper holes out of St. Marks. I have been looking at the larger bay boats 21'-22' like the pathfinder but I have my doubts about using one of these offshore. I thought about finding an older mako and repowering. I am leaning towards a center console in the 21' to 24' range and get me another small boat for inshore. Cost is an issue. I would like to know what some of you with more experience in the area are using and what advice you might have. Every boat is a compromise.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I think you'll find in this area that the "bay boat" is the most preferred boat style, with the aluminum jon boat being a close second.

Our fishing is more suited towards running 4-6 miles across flats and bays that can get quite choppy if the wind is just right. Then shutting down and drifting or working a trolling motor. The majority of the "pole and stalk" fishing is done with the jon boats and working the creeks close to shore.

I think you'll find that while a bay boat is a compromise, it is still the best choice for this area. Because of the way the waves stack up in the gulf, any day you can't get offshore in your bay boat, you most likely will be uncomfortable in a 21-23' offshore boat, but with the bay boat, you can fish the flats in all but a hurricane. A 23-26 foot would be a better choice if you want to be able to fish, waves be damned.

A 21-23 foot bay boat is the choice of some of the top guides in the area for this reason.

We have a 17' key west that we take offshore in the fall and winter quite regularly. But we also fish the backcountry creeks in 12" of water as well. In the summer, going offshore isn't as crucial because the grouper are deeper, other stuff is shallower, and you still want to be able to make it back before the thunderstorms in the afternoon.

If I had the money, I would buy a 21 foot bay boat tomorrow. Look at Key West, Sea Pro, Blazer Bay, etc., before looking at pathfinder and scout, and I think you'll find you can get a whole lot more boat for less money.
Last edited by Tom Keels on January 28th, 2004, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

RC, even with a bay boat you need to look at draft. Even though you are going out on the flats, in the big bend area you have to sometimes cross skinny water to get out/in. On the bay you can still run up on two foot or less real fast. I have an 18' bay boat that draws 18" of water. :thumbdown:
Another factor is a trolling motor. I don't want a bay boat you can't put a trolling motor on. It's just so much easier to move around and position your boat with a trolling motor.
The last thing I got to say is, I don't want to go off shore in a bay boat if it has a cut down transom and no splashwell. (Kenner is a good example) It's just too easy to take on water over the top of the transom.
Semper Fi
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

Thanks for the input. I really like the bay boat style of boat since I'm used to fishing from a flats boat. They seam more versatile. You don't see many offshore boats at rock island or the bird racks and I would hate to give that up. My only concern is if it would be seaworthy enough for going offshore for grouper. If you pick your days and watch the weather you feel that that is possible? Tom when I was asking about grouper tackle you said about 12' s to se of the bird racks. Would you need to go further out than that? Does anyone make one with a full transom with a bracket. By the way you said that you grouper fish in the fall and winter does that mean that the grouper move out during the summer? Even with a bay instead of an offshore boat I don't know about fishing out of econfina. I have bumped bottom with my little 25. The pathfinder is too expensive and also the coastline but I would like to find something reasonably priced with those features.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

There are a bunch of folks in our fishing club who have no problem going out as far as 25 miles in their bay boat chasing grouper. I think I said 10-12 miles SE of the birdrack in my other post. That is a good range to start with. Most of us don't chase grouper in the bay boats in the late spring to early fall. Most of it is done from Nov-March when the weather is more stable. That depth and area during those months is pretty hot. We do go further like I said, but unless the water is super cold or super hot, it generally isn't necessary. In the summer the fish move some, but it is generally that they are more active in the cooler deeper water and therefore easier to catch.

As far as seaworthyness, most bay boats are positive flotation, self bailing hulls. Have a good bilge pump or 2 and you will be good to go. You just have to have a head on your shoulders to do it. If it looks too rough it is. If you think it may pick up, its time to leave. If you or your crew feels uncomfortable, its time to leave. Be smart about it and you will be fine.

As for bumping bottom -- It's gonna happen if you fish in this area enough. I can assure you that anyone who isn't bumping every now and then, isn't catching that many fish. We live in an area littered with rocks and oysters. Its what makes the fishing so good. Its the same as going offshore. Have a good head about stuff. If you are in a new area, take it slow. Don't run on dead low tide. Etc, Etc.

I have fished the Aucilla for more than 10 years and know it pretty well and I still hit stuff every now and then. I just make sure I don't hit them fast.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

sharkboy
Site Sponsor

Post by sharkboy »

RC, I too think you would be most satisfied with the bay boat. It gives you enough flexibility to decide where to fish after you get on the water, unlike having to pick between two boats.

Be prepared though, if you haven't already seen it--the St. Marks channel in the area of the bird rack can get pretty nasty under the right conditions, even when the rest of the bay is more or less flat. It can be a damp ride on any boat.
I must fish.
Rogan
Site Sponsor

Post by Rogan »

For the bucks, Sea Pro IMO makes a great bay boat. A friend bought a 21 bay a year ago and has nothing but positive things to say about it. He bought his from Martins Marine in S.C. which is 10 miles from the factory and they offered the best price at the time. Just my .02
"No, I dont remember where I last had it, if I knew I'd go get it" ...
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Then this may be an even better deal. Made by Sea Pro, just not as fancy, and less $$$. 21 Bay.

http://www.seaboss.com/2100bay.html

RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

the sea pro sv2100cc looks like it could be the one. I looked at it on their website and it looks like it has all the necessary equipment. I checked for dealers and it gave me Mikes in panaca. I called them and the price looked good. Better than the Scout or Pathfinder anyway. It comes with a 150. I don't know if that is enough power for this large a boat. I could probably put my 16' on the bow casting deck on this boat. If anyone has experience with this boat I would appreciate some input. I'm going to ride down this weekend and check it out.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Contact Steve Stinson at sws@bdi-ae.com. He is the pres of our fishing club and he loves his 2100CC Sea Pro. I'm sure he'd be glad to tell you anything you want to know, or take you for a ride. He has the carbed Yam 150 on his and it will do mid 40's wot. We actually have 3 or 4 folks in the club with the exact same boat.

If you end up at Mike's Marine, contact Steve Burke. He's a salesman there who is in our club. He'll treat you right. Tell him I sent you.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

Thanks for the information Tom
Rogan
Site Sponsor

Post by Rogan »

I stopped by Mikes Marine 3 weeks ago and they had a decent selection of Bay boats on the yard. I think they had two 21's at the time. Had one yellow 23 with the T-top. REAL NICE !! :thumbup:
"No, I dont remember where I last had it, if I knew I'd go get it" ...
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

That Sea Boss is made with the 2003 Sea Pro molds. The 2004 Sea Pro bay boat is wider, has a bigger aft baitwell and different forward storage boxes.

For comparison purposes you can look at Yamaha performance bulletins on the 22' Pathfinder with the new F150 and a 200 (or 225 ) HPDI. Reports I have read say the F150 makes more like 175 hp.
Ken
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

Well I went to Mikes saturday and checked out that sv2100cc bay boat. It fits the bill. With that deep v carried all the way to the transom it should cut the chop really well. Compared to my 16' it is one big beamy boat. Should fit all my needs except for shallow water near shore fishing which I'll get a john boat for. Now all I need to do is sell my Hell's Bay. You don't know anyone who wants a 16' boat with a 3.5" draft do you. thanks for all the advise everyone. Going to have to come to one of your meetings and meet some of you.
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

I'm going with two boats. 24' offshore and a 16' aluminum to beat the oysters. The 16' should be able to fish the flats on good days and small enough to run the creeks.