Building a Kayak Rack

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

crew322

Building a Kayak Rack

Post by crew322 »

Looking to build a rack out of wood to stow away two kayaks. One's a Hobie Quest (13') and the other is a Ocean Venus 11 (10'8"), both are approximately 28.5" wide.

I want to build a rack mainly because I'm a renter and can't do any permanent jobs to my garage unit. Just wanted to build something that can keep the yaks off the ground and make it a little easier for my fiancée and I to load/unload the boats. Anyone have any rough plans or schematics for a crude wooden rack?

I was thinking a sort of L-shaped thing that looks something like this:

Very crude imagery but hopefully it gets the point across.

Thanks for any info!
KYFRED

Re: Building a Kayak Rack

Post by KYFRED »

Do you have exposed ceiling beams in the garage or are you allowed to screw in a few eye bolts for anchors? I have put my yak on a pulley system and simply pull it up to the beams. The rack you are showing will force you to tie into a stud or will need to have a ton of support along the bottom
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

crew322 wrote: Image

Very crude imagery but hopefully it gets the point across.

Thanks for any info!
I don't yak but you could do the same thing but with PVC pipe, that way if you buy more plastic boats you could add on more racks.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
crew322

Post by crew322 »

Yeah, i thought this rack would have to have a lot of bottom weight. I can drill into the walls at my apartment's garage. Right now the kayaks are just sitting on a couple of 2x4's making it only a couple inches off the ground. I guess it'll have to do for now. Thanks for the input.