Recommended mid-range reels

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

Recommended mid-range reels

Post by Terrier »

I'm looking to pick up a mid-range ($100-$200) saltwater capable reel. Right now I have an old Medalist 1495 1/2 which is fine but I hate to expose the non-anodized aluminum to salt. Anybody got any favorites, either new or used brands to look out for on Ebay? I've heard good things about the Ross Cimarron and also Lamson reels.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Re: Recommended mid-range reels

Post by jsuber »

Shimano Stradic 3000 in spinning and Shimano Curado CU200E7 for a baitcaster. Put them on a seven to seven and a half foot medium action Terramar Rod or Calcutta. They both have lifetime over the counter warranties.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

jsuber wrote:Shimano Stradic 3000 in spinning and Shimano Curado CU200E7 for a baitcaster. Put them on a seven to seven and a half foot medium action Terramar Rod or Calcutta. They both have lifetime over the counter warranties.
He is talking about fly reels, I made the same mistake and deleted my response to him. But for the record I also suggested the Stradic! :-D Littoral will see this post and say the Symetre is just as good. :lol:
Team Jolly Mon
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Suber is spot on.

As far as fly reels, I really like my G Loomis Eastfork. Smooth as silk.
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

Terrier wrote:I'm looking to pick up a mid-range ($100-$200) saltwater capable reel. Right now I have an old Medalist 1495 1/2 which is fine but I hate to expose the non-anodized aluminum to salt. Anybody got any favorites, either new or used brands to look out for on Ebay? I've heard good things about the Ross Cimarron and also Lamson reels.

what size reel wt rod you looking to match to
bubbatoy

Post by bubbatoy »

suber right also look at the shi citica
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Oh, I didn't even notice this was under fly fishing. In that case, spend more money on your rod, thats all I know about fly fishing.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

I've got an TFO 8wt I need to match it up to.

Thanks
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

sometimes you can find deals on ebay on the tibor lt back country in the 200 range. Closer to 100 its hard to beat the orvis midarbor v very light and to me the centerline drag is the next best thing to cork
PANAMA-LING

Post by PANAMA-LING »

The Orvis Mid Arbor is a great value, had one for a while and they are tough. Also for a good value is the TFO large arbor 425. I like the bigger arbor of the TFO.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Slight change of plan - I couldn't pass up a brand new Ross Cimarron 3 for $90.00 (close out deal). I'll use for my general freshwater/ light salt 6 wt rig. I'll keep using the Medalist 1495 1/2 for the "big salt" 8wt rig until I can replace it.