Penn AF3000 ???

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

4C's
Site Sponsor

Penn AF3000 ???

Post by 4C's »

Anyone have any experience with the Penn AF series of reels ? Read some on-line reviews, most were pretty good, but who knows who writes those... could be a Penn sales Rep. If I hear it here I know it's not sugar coated... maybe coated with something else... but only if deserved.
Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal!!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Penn AF3000 ???

Post by Flint River Pirate »

4C's I am going to be really honest and I think most of the guys on here will agree with me.............Penn sux! At one time they were wonderful reels but now they are made overseas and aren't worth much. I have 3 Penn spinning reels personally and they are not what they once were. Most folks on here have moved 100% Shimano. The AF4000 series is $139.00, put twenty bucks with it and go get a Stradic. :thumbup: Just my .02 cents.
Team Jolly Mon
4C's
Site Sponsor

Post by 4C's »

Thanks FRP I have some older Penns and some offshore models but haven't bought a new one in a while.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Yeah, I have two old 450SS reels that are great, I bought a new CV5000 Captiva last year and it is real obvious that they take a lot of shortcuts. I really wouldn't recommend one but ask around, don't take my word for it.
Team Jolly Mon
4C's
Site Sponsor

Post by 4C's »

Anybody else ....agree...disagree.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I had one after a couple trips the dang thing just broke. Stripped a gear and Penn said for $50.00 or something they'd fix it. I told them not to worry about it.
I fish a couple of Shimano's (1 Stradic 3000 and a Sahara 3000) my wife likes the US Reels and an Okuma that must be made outta cast iron it's so dang heavy.
I wouldn't but it's your money.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

Listen to the Pirate and Cowboy Penn sucks. I had a couple of big International V reels that were pure junk. I took them back to Bass Pro Shops and traded them for Shimanos and I really like them.
GEAUX TIGERS!
Redphisher

Post by Redphisher »

I've had 2 Penn 4400's that I've fished for at least five years without a single problem. However I do know their checkered track record. Now... with that said my main rig is a Shimano Saros and to tell the truth the Saros is twice the reel the Penn is and much lighter. I find the Penn sitting in the rod holder more often that not. Saros is a great reel if you don't want to drop the $$ for the Stradic. Most important thing is don't buy a cheap reel, they will not hold up in the saltwater world and before you know it you'll be buying something else.
BeeeReady

Post by BeeeReady »

Penn Reels...the innovation has stopped..This happened some years ago..No advancements in technology..improvements, nothing...Little to no research or development has happened..The older conventional offshore reels are legendary to say the least...SAVE YOUR MONEY...Buy SHIMANO be happy.... I've got Stradics that are at least 8 years old that are going strong...The only shimano reels I no longer own were lost on the boat by accident! Good luck to you...
Backcountry 189 Pro Guide
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi
4C's
Site Sponsor

Post by 4C's »

Thanks, for the input everyone.I have always fished baitcasters, but a shoulder injury has me looking for something with a little less effort on the front end. While I own a few spinning reels I have never considered one for my main casting reel. I generally used them for bait and occasionally popping cork fishing (I am old skool and woulld rather fish jigs without the middle man). I stopped by Fisherman's Paradise (nice store with friendly people) in Valdosta today and compared Stradic and AF 3000 side by side ...... Shimano 1 Penn 0.