St Marks Friday the 13th

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Derfish

St Marks Friday the 13th

Post by Derfish »

It turned out to be a lucky (and beautiful) day. I put in at the lighthouse and motored out to the east flats. I set on several drift lines between 4 and 6 ft. Water temps around 70 (up from 66 four days earlier). Fishing with soft jerk baits, I pulled in five trout, mostly dinks. The one keeper (just over 15") had what looked to be ulcers on the lower back part of its body. On closer inspection, I noticed it was on both sides and not ulcerous at all, but rather in the shape of a bite mark. I initially thought shark, but the bite was more pointed than round and there were no teeth marks, just abrasions. Any Ideas? Anyway, I decided to let it go since it had survived that assault and I figured I would do my small part to tear down the myth of unlucky Friday the 13th (at least for that trout). At that point I decided the rest of the day would be catch and release. After my fourth drift on the flats, I went to the mouth of Stoney. I noticed quite a few pinfish in close. The water temp was at 72 and the incoming tide was flowing steady. The action was pretty hot and steady for about an hour and I easily would have limited out. Suddenly the bite was over and it was time to go. Any day I can get out on the water on a Friday is a lucky day for me, even if it's the 13th.

Cheers!

Derf
"The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful."
birddog
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks Friday the 13th

Post by birddog »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
GULP! free since 1970.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Glad ya got to go. :thumbup: :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Hmmm....

I saw ulcered trout on both Friday (3/13) and Saturday (3/14)...
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

We have had schools of small chopper blues running through the trout where I am fish it will scatter the school and ruin the bite.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

What a mess wrote:We have had schools of small chopper blues running through the trout where I am fish it will scatter the school and ruin the bite.
Blues suck. I had one bite and break a couple of my brand new yozuri lures when I was down in naples. I guess keep your fingers clear if you wanna keep them. Makes it hard to fish for snook at night because the blues crowd the lights..
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

Good trip derfish :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
lunkerbrother

Post by lunkerbrother »

I was out there Friday in my YAK; saw dolphin tearing up what was coming out of the river..not sure if it was mullet or trout.
I did manage 3 fish, two shorts and one keeper.
2true

Post by 2true »

procraftwes wrote:
What a mess wrote:We have had schools of small chopper blues running through the trout where I am fish it will scatter the school and ruin the bite.
Blues suck. I had one bite and break a couple of my brand new yozuri lures when I was down in naples. I guess keep your fingers clear if you wanna keep them. Makes it hard to fish for snook at night because the blues crowd the lights..
Umm... Bluefish!
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

2true wrote:
procraftwes wrote:
Umm... Bluefish!
yeah bluefish?