Water clarity, scallops

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DriftingSun

Water clarity, scallops

Post by DriftingSun »

Having not fished this area for the years that some others around here have I would like for some of the boards more experienced guys to weigh in with their opinions on these 2 questions:

Assuming we have normal or near normal rainfall moving forward, how long are talking before we see significantly improved water clarity in Apalachee Bay? Several weeks? Months?

What effect will this heavy freshwater discharge have on our scallop production this summer?

Surely some of you guys have seen this before, sure would like to hear some opinions on this.

Tight lines
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Water clarity, scallops

Post by silverking »

The Lipton tea, Starbuck's double latte, Nestle Quick, Yoo Hoo, Killian's Red water will stay stained and nasty for months. At least until October 1st or the end of tarpon season, whichever comes first.

As far as scallops go, the local waters will be barren of bi-valves for 100 miles in either direction all summer. Throw the dive flags in the recycle bin, use the flippers in the pool and take up golf. You'll be wasting your time otherwise.

Please pass the word :wink:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

I concur completely. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
DriftingSun

Post by DriftingSun »

And to think...I thought this board was here to promote fishing in the Big Bend :smt017
Last edited by DriftingSun on April 29th, 2009, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Ya'll ain't helping educate ol' Drifting Sun at all... :thumbdown:.

Drifting Sun, I would try and hook you up with a straight answer but haven't been here but 7 years myself and I really can't say I've seen it this stained before but it can and will settle given no more significant flooding. Maybe someone on the scientific side, like Littoral, or Tom Keels & those who dive will offer a bit more straightforward answer. :smt102
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I think the old saying goes "tii--ii--ii--me is on our side."

She'll come around, but high winds and rain don't help. Scallops have been around all winter; I doubt they've wandered too far, though I can't be sure since it so hard to see.

I bet if you head to the PSJ tourney you'll see that there are plenty nice fish managing to find lures through the murkey water.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
R T

Post by R T »

by DriftingSun » 48 minutes ago
And to think...I thought this board was here to promote fishing in the Big Bend

What kind of rod & reel do you use to catch scallops?
DriftingSun

Post by DriftingSun »

R T wrote:by DriftingSun » 48 minutes ago
And to think...I thought this board was here to promote fishing in the Big Bend

What kind of rod & reel do you use to catch scallops?
Who says you need a rod and reel to fish?
Last edited by DriftingSun on April 29th, 2009, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Wow, Drifting Sun. You're really making a splash as a newbie on the forum. We were just pulling your chain a bit. Something you're gonna have to get used to if you're gonna hang around here.

To answer your questions, if we have normal rains, you can expect the water in Appalachee Bay to be tannin colored all summer to the east and more clear but potentially muddy to the west. If you want clear water, you'll have to go further east or west of Appalachee Bay.

There will be scallops in Appalachee Bay this year but you will have to look in specific places for them. They will not be as widespread as they have been the last couple of years. Look to St. Joe Bay and the Steinhatchee - Keaton area for more consistent scallops this year.

Most of this info has already been discussed on the forum ad nauseam. There is a great feature on the forum called the search function. It can be your friend.

Good luck! :beer: :beer:
GULP! free since 1970.
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

Fishing the st. Marks area for the last 40 years I'll give you my .02 cents worth. The water will clear rather quickly without much additional rain. Stained water is not the problem for trout, salinity levels shock trout much more than redfish. Trout move to desirable levels of salinity and adapt to the lower levels quiet rapidly. Once adapted they move back in with the bait. Personaly I prefer stained water to gin clear water. Silted water is a whole other problem, trout leave silted water to feed in water not silted,either gin clear or stained clear. Find water not silted up by our latest April winds and fish some sort of structure i.e. sand holes, shorelines, rocks, oyster bars you will catch fish.
As for scallops plan on Keaton Beach or St. Joe Bay. Our scallops tend to run in 5-7 year cycles with the last two years being the top of the cycle and the next 3-4 being the bottom. Influx of freshwater all part of that cycle. Fresh water keeps our bays alive and is only a minor inconvenience. Tight lines good fishing.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

SHOWBOAT wrote:I think the old saying goes "tii--ii--ii--me is on our side."
Showboat, ever since seeing the movie "Fallen" that song has creeped me out! :smt087

Birddog & Grasshopper, many thanks for the good info! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

DriftingSun wrote:And to think...I thought this board was here to promote fishing in the Big Bend :smt017
That mission can become weather dependent quite suddenly! :smt010

Personally, modern chemistry provides me with "chill-out meds" :smt120 that work rather well when mixed with copious amounts of Makers Mark :drnk_1 and frequent fishing trips. When the delicate balance is
interrupted, especially by adverse effects of negative weather patterns and the resulting restrictions and cerebral mayhem...well, simply stated....I often find myself seeking refuge in the weirdest place....
politics! :smt094
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Now that I've read all the tripe, let me give you the true skinny based on over 40 years of fishing this coast.

The water clears soon after the rivers flow returns to normal. This ain't happened yet and when it will is based on future rain. We had a historical rain event a couple of weeks back.

As stated, the fish adapt and we change the color of the baits we use. Darker water = darker baits. Actually, live bait seems to be the hot ticket for just "catch'n" right now, if you aren't concerned with style points. Most of the gang here are into stylin'. :smt004

Scallop season don't come in until July 1. Most folks start looking for scallops around June 15th. Keaton has been on the high end the last two years and will probably cycle down some this year. St Joe Bay has been on the low end the last two years and should cycle up some this year. These are thoughts and there are no guarantees.

Apalachicola Bay is not a preferred scalloping destination. St. Joe to the east and Lannark on to the west.

Whenever you hear water lapping at your hull, you are in an area with far more potential to catch fish than you are when your butt is in a chair at the keyboard. As for me, my butt has been in my chair way too much lately.

Welcome aboard and pass the manure spreader. :smt006
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Nice job of saying what had already been said, MD. BTW, you're the King of Tripe on the forum. Get yer butt outta that chair and go fishing. :beer: :beer:
GULP! free since 1970.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Wow, didn't mean to stir a hornet's nest. I looked for the smilie wearing the stylish Ex-Officio or UnderArmor technical shirt but couldn't find one. 8)

Sounds like most of us, present company included, need to lighten up, get out on the water more and chill with a cold beverage.

Drifting Sun, good serious advice after my tongue-in-cheek post. Thank goodness fishing isn't an exact science and what works one day or even in one spot may not in the next. The willingness to experiment and explore new water can mean the difference between catching or just casting.

Welcome aboard the forum. Good luck out there, be safe and have fun.

P.S. I still don't enjoy scallop season and never will. There's just something about congested ramps, no trailer parking, crowded flats, inexperienced, rude boaters and mats of floating grass that I find slightly annoying. Besides, those dang things don't jump at all when they're hooked.