Spanish Mack Leader Opinions

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

Spanish Mack Leader Opinions

Post by Atticus »

I read in FS that you can use 30lb mono and still reel em in with only a few problems

But I have had them saw through 40lb mono :hammer:

What do you guys use? What do you think about the hook-up ratio diff between wire and mono? What about fluro, will it stand up to those teeth better?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I use 60# big game when the start gettin frisky :o :-D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I have seen times where they would not hit anything above a 20# flouro and you landed about 1 of 5. Other times, 50-80# mono works great, other times steelon works just fine. I have found that each school of fish is different, and they differ from day to day.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Just what Tom said. I've caught plenty on 30# coated wire with live bait, in clear water. Other times, I've watched schools swarm in on a free lined bait with 12 pound fluorocarbon, then turn away just before hitting it. You just never know what to expect, so you just have to be ready for anything I guess. :-?
Semper Fi
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

The problem with steel is that if you get in a thick school of aggressive feeders, The first fish will take your bait, then the others will frenzy around him hitting any thing visible, including your leader and swivel. If I'm expecting Spanish I will Blood knot a piece of 30# mono to my line. I have fewer cutoffs this way but them thangs have got some sharp teeth! I'm not gonna debate the perfect test# leader to use, I just always used 30#, but I think they can gnaw through most any of them occasionally.
Fish Masterson
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

30# Seagur Flourocarbon seems to work really well. I can't remember breaking one off recently.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I agree with Tom, experiment. But do it with inexpensive stuff. My favorite is a fair waters mylar jig w/ 50# mono. Go fast.
Also, I especially like chug bugs for Spanish. Yahoo!!
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I lost about $20 worth of plugs using just 50# mono 2 years ago. I only throw jigs or spoons on mono or flouro now. If they won't hit wire, I don't throw plugs.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

coastal cracker
Site Sponsor

Post by coastal cracker »

Last fall (Sept) was my first attempt with spanish. We trolled the east end of Dog island. Never made it to the DI reef. We trolled using spoons and jigs on 50lb ande clear. had 15 or so keepers in about an hour then the whitecaps started and we headed behing the island. gonna try it again the first week of April.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Last year about the same time, I was catching more Spanish than Grouper on my Strech 30's off of DI :o :-D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”