Marine cell booster

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

konrad

Marine cell booster

Post by konrad »

I was thinking about putting a cell phone booster on my boat. I have been told they can extend your coverage to 50 miles off shore. Since 25 miles is about as far as I go it sounds like it might work but wanted to hear some thoughts.

If you have one how do you like it. Does it really work that far off shore. What model, type do you recommend? How durable are they?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
What a mess

Re: Marine cell booster

Post by What a mess »

google it I saw a video on how to make on at home pretty cool.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Afterburner

Post by Afterburner »

They do not work. I bought a Digital Antenna brand 8 ft. cell antenna, their Power Max signal booster, and an adapter cable for my RAZR.... the stuff does not work. I even determined the closest cell tower to where I like to fish, rode to the tower by car, saved the GPS coordinate on a handheld GPS, took the handheld out in the boat with me, was only 13 miles from the tower... no reception. I even updated the phone before leaving port, tried setting the phone to specific frequency for that tower... still did not work. The digital signal just does not travel the distance like analogue did.
When I'm fighting a keeper, the Afterburner is TURNED ON!!!!
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I've got a friend that is/was in the cell phone biz and he always said the cell booster where junk. Best case is 12-15 miles from the tower. The power is cut way back on the towers so that they dont interfere with the other towers in the area, plus the towers are directional so I doubt the companies are directing the towers toward the open ocean. Just what he said.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image