Cownose Rays

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TyatCapeSanBlas

Cownose Rays

Post by TyatCapeSanBlas »

:smt011 deleted
Last edited by TyatCapeSanBlas on June 20th, 2009, 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What a mess

Re: Cash for Cownose Rays Anyone?

Post by What a mess »

Bait?
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
TyatCapeSanBlas

Yes sir-
I'm looking to buy some for use as bait. I would need them starting Sunday June 21-July 1.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Why are cownose rays a better bait than other baits?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
TyatCapeSanBlas

Hi Jump-
Well, use brown or other rays for a while and you will see the cownose get picked up 5 to 1. In addition they don't crab out like oily fishes do (bonita or other), just as well any shark has a harder time spitting a rigged ray; they also bleed, ie chum, all day. Hammers and bulls will hit every cownose you put out anywhere from here to the Bahamas. Boy I sure would like to have a few ready for me when I get over there. :D

Thanks
Last edited by TyatCapeSanBlas on June 20th, 2009, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Algaegator

Post by Algaegator »

I know nothing at all about cownose rays, so I did a quick google search and found this: http://www.neaq.org/animals_and_exhibit ... /index.php

Apparently, they may be a threatened species.

Gator
On On
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Conservation status Near Threatened The current population of cownose rays has not been accurately measured, but the species may be at risk due to fishing. These rays reproduce slowly, making it hard for them to recover from such threats

Near aint the same as threatened :-D so I would go catch a bunch ifin I was you gator :smt004 :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
bbb

Post by bbb »

This time last year, while fishing at the cut, we had a school of 200+ swim by the boat several times. They were stacked 3-4 rays high and 3-4 rays across. It would take a good 30 seconds for them to all go by. I wondered what kind of ray they were.

I only see the normal rays when gigging at night though.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Based on the face. Could you use some pekingese dogs? I know where I can get several.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
TyatCapeSanBlas

Jumptrout51 wrote:Based on the face. Could you use some pekingese dogs? I know where I can get several.

What an insult... bitting my tongue.
Last edited by TyatCapeSanBlas on June 20th, 2009, 8:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

^^ A gross overreaction like that to what was very obviously a joke? Well, you just threw any help you wanted from me right out the window.

In fact: Hey guys, isn't selling bait illegal without a commercial license? I think it is, but I would have to double-check.

Edit:
TyatCapeSanBlas wrote:What an insult... bitting my tongue.
Sure go back and change it so it doesn't show what you really said. :thumbdown:
Last edited by Charles on June 20th, 2009, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TyatCapeSanBlas

Charles wrote:^^ A gross overreaction like that to what was very obviously a joke? Well, you just threw any help you wanted from me right out the window.

In fact: Hey guys, isn't selling bait illegal without a commercial license? I think it is, but I would have to double-check.
That was completely disrespectful and insulting; based on his own ignorance of what species where talking about. Thanks but no thanks

A walk on the beach at IP would show you how "rare" these rays are. What a waste of time guys; commercial liscence??? I'm not the one doing the selling Charles.

Mods please delete my account.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

After going off on JT like that? Totally uncalled for. Disrespectful? As if you know what respect is? :smt082 :smt082 :smt082
TyatCapeSanBlas wrote:Mods please delete my account.
Thank you. Good riddance.
Last edited by Charles on June 20th, 2009, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TyatCapeSanBlas

Charles wrote:After going off on JT like that? Totally uncalled for.
TyatCapeSanBlas wrote:Mods please delete my account.
Thank you. Good riddance.
Your welcome
TyatCapeSanBlas

Charles wrote:^^ A gross overreaction like that to what was very obviously a joke? Well, you just threw any help you wanted from me right out the window.

Edit:
TyatCapeSanBlas wrote:What an insult... bitting my tongue.
Sure go back and change it so it doesn't show what you really said. :thumbdown:

We can go back and forth. Nice to see you defend his smart old man comments. WTF is based on the face supposed to mean, my face? Do you want to keep speaking up for him. Thats not something you would expect someone to say to you, and you would think that a 60 year old man like Jump would have more courtesy AND know what cownose ray is.

Change it sure, maybe he didn't deserve my first deleted rant but he should know that is not cool, online or in person. You and I both know grown men don't talk like that in person. Now as this barrels out of control and this site sticks up for "the joke" that pisses me off, have a nice day fishing tomorrow Charles, good lord.
Last edited by TyatCapeSanBlas on June 20th, 2009, 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.