Night fishing St. Marks Flats

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RyanD

Night fishing St. Marks Flats

Post by RyanD »

Anyone been out on the full moon around the lighthouse/deep creek area. My father is set on going out as soon as possible the next full moon is next week. We are restricted to a few miles from shore and the creeks. He doesn't care what we catch as long as it ain't grass. So I'm planning on shrimp and poppers as a fail safe plan. 2 questions I guess really...has anyone been out at night around here? What were your baits of choice?(poppers, saltwater assasins, gulp!, top water....) Thanks for any advice and I understand if no one wants to share.
Ryan
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Night fishing St. Marks Flats

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY RYAN, I HAVE FISHED THE ST.MARKS FLATS MANY TIMES AT NIGHT.I HAVE HAD GREAT SUCCESS DOING THIS. I ALWAYS USE ANY LOUD POPPER, CHUG BUGS, LUCKEY 13, AND ANY TOPWATER LOUD PLUG . WORK IT FAIRLY FAST, THE PLUG LIGHTS UP THE WATER EACH TIME YOU PULL IT, AND THE NEAT THING IS YOU CAN SEE THE FISH ATTACK THE PLUG BY THE WATER LIGHTS UP WHEN THEY START THE APPROACH TO STRIKING THE PLUG. I HAVE HAD MY BEST TRIPS FROM ABOUT 4 DAYS BEFORE FULL MOON TO ABOUT 4 DAYS AFTER THE FULL MOON. I HAVE TRIED JIGS UNDER THE MOONLIGHT BUT NEVER HAD MUCH SUCCESS. HOPE THIS HELPS.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :smt006 :smt006 :smt006 salute2
FUTCHCAIRO
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

awesome I love topwater action, thanks for the help.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

And them sailcats love topwaters at night...Make sure you got a good light.
RyanD

Post by RyanD »

well, we ended up catching tons of sharks when the lights went out, from 18in up to 4ft with some bigger ones assuming sharks that got away quick. even caught a few sharks on topwater. Ended up with 5 keeper trout and saw a bunch of shooting stars once the moon went down. The flats are loud at night with all the creatures coming by. Anyways thanks for the help, I think we will stick to dawn and sunset fishing, everything decent was caught around then.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Nothing matches the flats at night....AWESOME! When I'm out it's often hard to fish just watching the sky...always see some shooting stars. Glad you got out! :thumbup:
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I love night fishing the flats. What is really neat to me is that with all the millions of folks in the region, you are all alone on the water. It kind of makes me think of what an astronaut would sense when he is out in space all alone. Well, except an astronaut does not have to worry about 8 ft bull sharks if he falls overboard. :o

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Outdoorsnole

Post by Outdoorsnole »

Being on the flats at night is fun in itself when you're just hanging out with friends and seeing what all is out there. The flats can come alive at night when it might have been slow all day.

Did you guys happen to see any flounder?