Sportsman's Warehouse closing

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DriftingSun

Sportsman's Warehouse closing

Post by DriftingSun »

You know things are bad when a company drops that kind of investment in a building and closes barely a year later...
PerryFisherMan
Site Sponsor

Re: Sportsman's Warehouse closing

Post by PerryFisherMan »

I happened to go by there tonight and they were putting the sale signs up. I heard the employees had no forewarning, they we told first thing this morning that it would close down. There were a lot of sober faces. The lady who I spoke to said she was 'devistated'. I understand. My heart goes out to them.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

DriftingSun wrote:You know things are bad when a company drops that kind of investment in a building and closes barely a year later...
If things were "good" they might have lasted longer, but personally I have always thought their stock, other than maybe hunting, did not fit this area very well. They seemed to carry "cookie cutter" goods picked out for some other market, and never changed. Lots of fishing gear more suited to other states and climates, for example, that no one ever seemed to buy. Stock looked more for Arkansas, or Iowa, or someplace, but not North Florida.

Although I browsed through the place many times, I hardly ever bought anything there. Just not much appealed to me, no matter what the price.

EJ
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

I agree with EJ on this issue. The product mix in the store was wrong from the git go. They did not change to fit the area and now they are closing a store in a large market that could have made the company a lot of money had they changed their ways. Some large box store are just to ridged to change. I feel sorry for the employees that put their trust in this company.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I am sure we will be seeing the bankruptcy filings soon. I wonder just how many of these companies do this little gig just to get rid of debt. Soon, they may have a grand re-opening with no debt. I do not feel for them as much as I do the small business owners that will get the shaft from them and a bankruptcy court.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I'm sure Kevin is smiling as he has now outlasted another one.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

rocket wrote:I'm sure Kevin is smiling as he has now outlasted another one.
Yeah, go figure. IMO, Kevin's Hunting Stock is pretty good (although I'm no expert there), fishing is fair, clothing is pansy outdoor wannabe.

Prices range from pretty high to god awful high. I think his strongest suit is that he knows his market. These guys that have failed have much more money, the ability to purchase more gear, but failed to research the market, locally.

IMO, best salt water fishing stores in our area are AMS and Crum's. Best outdoor equipment/clothing store is Trail and Ski.

EJ
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

Sportsman's is closing because of the foreclosure agreement with the bank. Tallahassee and a couple others are closing because the bank said close the stores with the longest lease. They had a 30 year lease. The store here was actually making money.
DriftingSun

Post by DriftingSun »

EddieJoe wrote:

IMO, best salt water fishing stores in our area are AMS and Crum's.

EJ
EJ, not familiar with these stores, fill me in?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

AMS is in Medart "Angie's Marine Supply", used ta be RMS. Crum's Mini Mall in Panacea :thumbup: both top notch places :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Fishman
Site Sponsor

Post by Fishman »

Its a shame for sure.Was up there during hunting season looking to spend a gift card I had gotten.Was going to buy some Tinks 69 but they were completly out of scents right smack in the middle of the rut.Then during turkey season went to but some turkey loads and they didn't have a shell in stock.Not very good managing if you ask me.My heart goes out to the employees that are losing their job.
Outdoorsnole

Post by Outdoorsnole »

I do like there fly selection though. You can pick up a bunch of different ones for cheap.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

The might have been making money but they were not profiting any in the first year of business.This business is not a big moneymaker, you have to sell a lot to make a little.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

CairoTrout wrote:The might have been making money but they were not profiting any in the first year of business.This business is not a big moneymaker, you have to sell a lot to make a little.
That is your story and you are sticking to it.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?