Kicked in the Gut by a Mule

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Charles
Site Sponsor

Kicked in the Gut by a Mule

Post by Charles »

Got a hernioplasty done this morning. A plug & patch on a direct inguinal hernia. I now know that feels like getting kicked in the gut by a mule. But this ain't the worst part. The worst part was prior to the operation. I'm waiting (bored), I'm cold (why do these places always feel like they keep it in the low 40's), I'm hungry (nothing by mouth after midnight), I have nothing but a gown, open in the back, to wear (I've been known to show my a$$ once in a while, but this is ridiculous), I have a headache (I'm doing that caffeine withdrawal thing), and because of all this I'm cranky, and everybody around is smiling and bubbly which makes me even more :smt013. We wait, and do a little of this and wait, and a little of that and wait, and a something else and wait. And finally we wheel down the hall and into the OR. I shift onto the cleaning table (AKA bait cutting board), and right after I do that someone must have slipped a mickey into my IV tube. :sleep: Next thing I know I'm waking up in the recovery room with the nurse keeping a watch on me saying, "Wow! You're awake early."

I look over at the what appears to be a fancy bottom machine she's looking at and ask, "48... is that my resting heart rate?"

"Yep, that's your resting heart rate," she replies.

I figure that's not too bad... for a smoker. :-D

We wait some more. Right about the time my IV empties I ask to go to the bathroom. The IV is empty so I also ask if I can go home.

"I can't let you go until you go to the bathroom. If you don't go I will have to start another IV."

Well by Gawd I'm on a MISSION now. I will be going to the bathroom. salute3

Wooo-Hooo, I'm a free man. salute1

I get in the car, wife driving, kids in the back. I suck down a Camel Non-Filter. I just about guzzle a 20 oz. Coke. I smoke another Camel Non-Filter. I drink another Coke. I smoke another Camel. The wife is worried. My son is completely unconcerned. "If he hasn't had a problem by now, he's not going to." :roll:

I begin to feel great, except for being sore. We get home and I get something to eat and I feel better than great. :D

Now that it's all over except for the healing, I have no problem with going back to TMH if I ever need another procedure done. Excellent care. :thumbup: :thumbup:

And I still feel like I got kicked in the gut by a mule. :smt012

So just how does one go about making all this necessary?
You sneeze. :roll:
You sneeze one time. You sneeze one time hard enough to blow your guts out.

Then of course you put the operation off for 2 months because you have two upcoming tournaments you don't want to miss.
And it crosses your mind to delay things until after scallop season, but decide that might be pushing it.

And you don't do jack-diddly-squat in either T, so you might as well have gone on and done the operation. :D
Last edited by Charles on July 8th, 2009, 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
creech

Re: Kicked in the Gut by a Mule

Post by creech »

Good story! Get well soon. :thumbup:
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:lol: Hurry up and wait, that sounds typical for the hospital. Glad everything's all right, maybe the soreness will go away soon. Good luck, Charles.
Yours in the South
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

:smt005 ive never seen anyone make an operation story so interesting and funny.. I was wishing you had wrote more!! :smt005 :thumbup: :beer:
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Yep, sneezing is dangerous. I had a buddy in Tally that broke his neck sneezing. I had never heard of it before he did it. It was not a bad break, but the doctor had him wear a neck brace for a few months.

Dubble
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

Hope all is well Charles. I wish you and you lil' Charles had done better the last two tourneys, but I didn't hear you bitch once if you were hurtin'. Hope you feel better buddy. :thumbup:
ttop_guy
Site Sponsor

Post by ttop_guy »

Very entertaining! :smt005

I hope your guts are better soon! :D :thumbup:
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Need to beg your forgiveness, but your story gave me quite the laugh! Made me recall a forgotten memory of my brother after having hernia repair surgery. He was still a young buck and asked my Mom to bring all kinds of fun electronic games to the hospital to enjoy after his surgery... walked in as he was waking up and remember him groaning that it felt like an elephant was standing on him... using only one foot! :lol: Needless to say the games went unplayed for a while :wink:

Hope your full recovery is a quick one and thanks for the story!

BBG
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Speedy recovery Chuck :thumbup:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY CHARLES, HOPE YA HAVE A COMPLETE AND SPEEDY RECOVERY. :smt006 :smt006 :smt006
PA, THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA
FUTCHCAIRO
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Speedy recovery Charles.
I ain't fond of being put to sleep either.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

wishing you a speedy recovery Charles. This should be added as a chapter to your book, and I hope to read the next one soon.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Good report ... now kick the mule back!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Being a born and bred product of the great State of Missouri, my advice would be ... Stand in front of the mule..... :D
Last edited by Sir reel on July 10th, 2009, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
PerryFisherMan
Site Sponsor

Post by PerryFisherMan »

I had double repair a few years ago. When you sneeze or cough, hold your stomach and don't hold anything bad - ie - let 'er fly. No other way to do it.