Road Repair Questions

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Road Repair Questions

Post by big bend gyrene »

Got a dirt road driveway that used to have gravel on it... repeated gullywashers have washed the gravel off the road and led to some pretty serious ruts.

Realizing it's a band aid fix, I'm debating getting a couple of truckloads of gravel to immediately fill in the worst spots. Sure a few of you on the board have had to buy gravel before. Accordingly, have a few questions...

1) what price should I expect to pay per truckload of gravel?
2) what local companies do you most trust / recommend? Location wise I live in Jefferson county between Lloyd and Wacissa.

Finally, anybody has any expert advice they want to offer on what I can do to slow down the washing out of new gravel I put down, I'm all ears :thumbup:

BBG
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Road Repair Questions

Post by wevans »

LIMEROCK :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

River rock want wash out and its the way to go but it's about $400.00 a dump truck load,,,I would check on road chip I think it's aroud 250.00 a load. Been there done all that :thumbdown:
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

wevans wrote:LIMEROCK :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:

Lime rock try crush and run... but river gravel is good also
big bend gyrene

Wevans, TroutTrent, and Sea Dawg - many thanks on the advice. Any recommendations on a specific company?
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

pm sent
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

The lime rock "crushed" we put on our drive "15 years ago" :thumbup: came from the quary out close to JR's and the Aucila river "don't remember the name". We had a local company bring it in "Harrell Brothers" and dump it and I spread it with a tractor :-D I think it took 5 loads at 22 yards a load to do our drive "a little over 600 foot"
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

PUT IN A CALL TO YOUR COUNTY COMMISSIONER, THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO MAINTAIN YOUR DRIVE -WAY TO YOUR PROPERTY LINE.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :smt006 :smt006
FUTCHCAIRO
big bend gyrene

Would do, Pa, but the problem is that the bad spots needing to be filled don't start until after entering my fenced yard :smt010 This said, do greatly appreciate the thought. :thumbup:
ttop_guy
Site Sponsor

Post by ttop_guy »

You may try Melvin's Hauling out of Perry. He has been fair when I have used him in the past and your not to far of a drive.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

I prefer crusher run granite, it's less dusty than limerock.
GULP! free since 1970.
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

[quote="birddog"]I prefer crusher run granite, it's less dusty than limerock.[/qByt \

Where in gods name will you find it in North Fl ..I know in ga if you want that you have to get it from Macon or Xolumbus or points futher north
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

crush and run granite scruggs concrete will have it
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

Ok i will Squeal!!!!! I sure have learned something today But i sure it will cost a bit also
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Yep. Scruggs. You gotta pay for the finer things in life.
GULP! free since 1970.