ST. MARKS 3-20-03

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

ST. MARKS 3-20-03

Post by dolphinatic »

I have had to take the last few months "OFF" from fishing due to another future "fisherman" being born in late January. This weekend presented a perfect time for me and the 9 year old to head out, so we took full advantage of it. I wanted to go to Econfina, but due to a very low tide a 2 bent props last year, we decided to try St. Marks.

We put in at the Fort around 8:15 and headed on out. We stopped at a favorite spot out on the east flats just past the Armada that was already there. It was really slow the first 1/2 hour but things steadily began to pick up around 9:15 or so. It started with something BIG grabbing hold of my ultra-lite with 6lb. test. About 15 minutes later, my son netted the culprit......a 33" cobia! This was my son's first glimpse of one in person and he thought it was the coolest thing. We kept on drifting and landed about 4-5 more keeper trout releasing about as many shorts. When things slowed down, we moved back over towards the lighthouse and caught a few more keepers. It was such a nice day out on the water that we decided to stay out regardless of the slower afternoon. During the slow time, my son did catch his first flounder. That was cool to him too! All in all it was a nice day except for the one idiot that kept speeding all over the place like he was the only one on the water, or like the "man" does from time to time.

TOTAL FOR THE DAY: 8 TROUT, 1 FLOUNDER AND A NICE COBIA!
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice catch....Second Cobia report I have read this weekend.... :thumbup:
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Sounds great. Glad to hear the St. Marks flats are finally heat'in up. Might have to check it out.
Yours in the South
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Good report dolphinatic. First, congrats on the new edition to the family. Second, congrats on a 33 inch Cobia on 6lb test. :o :thumbup:
Semper Fi